MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

Spent the weekend looking at new cars. Missus wanted to check out a Mini in local dealers, Bluebell Wilmslow. Ended up being tempted myself...!

Long story short, I've shortlisted 2, a cooper and an S, with my missus keen on a One for her. For me, the cooper is all the car i need, and will save me a good amount on petrol and will be great to drive. However, I made the mistake in sitting in a fully loaded 2004 S and I can't get it out of my head.

I've got a few questions if you don't mind.

1) What kind of discount, extra's should I be asking for when poss buying both at the same time? Both will be bought on Mini Select

2) How much room on negotiation is there for screen price, whilst they are 'cherished' they do seem to up at a significant premium.

3) Both Cooper and S are at around 20-25k miles, is there anything due for replacement (disc's, pads etc etc) that I should factor in, I'm looking for cheapish motoring over the next 2/3 years.

4) Just how giddy is the S on petrol, I've searched the forums, which seems to bring back conflicting strories between cars and drivers

5) Any recent experience of Bluebell in wilmslow - been impressed with the sales patter so far, but getting a good deal will be the key in making the sale

Cheers everyone

Andrew

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Hi Andrew, welcome to MINI2 :D

Discount is a tricky one, and varies dealer to dealer. You may get a few £££ off the screen price, no harm in asking. If sales are good at that dealer though, you may not. Try and make a purchase at the end of the month where they'll be pushing to meet target. If buying on select, haggle on the rate, don't accept their first offer ;)

MINIs are the same as most cars in terms of consumables. As a cherished car, they will have had to check things like brakes, ask how many mm is left on the pads etc.

My Cooper S averages 26mpg on fuel. I can stretch it to 32-34mpg on a run, or it can sink lower when driving hard ;)

No experiences on that dealer I'm afraid, but best of luck :D

Jon

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

Thanks for the reply, interesting to know cheers.

I've already had a few bites at the Mini Select APR, but that was before I was interested in one for me too!

Going for a PX value on my current daily beater, then will go from there.

Anyone with any more feedback?

Cheers

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
1) discount varies from place to place, you're more likely to get some freebies thrown in such as TLC, mats etc. Discount is easier to get on dealer fit accessories as they can negotiate the labour prices.

2) But if you are looking a cherished then you have to take a look around at what similar prices cars are going for, but in general a dealer will have about £1500 on the price they paid for the vehicle, take out the cost of them checking it all over and cleaning it, tax etc, you might be lucky if you can get £500 off.

3) hard to tell, all depends on how they have been driven, and the build dates of the cars? Are they facelifted models etc.

4) All depends on how you drive it and what kind of journeys you do, it can be anything from 26mpg to something higher. Its not an economical car, its average, also consider RFL too, as this isn't cheap either;)

5) Nope, but the best dealer in the Country is Derek Woodmans, and I've driven up to them to buy the last two MINI's from down here in Hampshire.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers mate,

the missus one is a 2007 07 and the cooper is a 56 plate. The S is undoubtedly a fine car, but I think I would maybe get more VFM changing to a cooper - one can always trade in for a turbo S next year...:D

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Ok, so the Cooper is a facelifted model, just the pre-facelifted models can have gear box issues;)

The turbo S is a nice car, bit better on fuel, but nowhere near as fun to drive as the Supercharged MCS and I'd pay the extra fuel costs any day to have the old MCS.

All depends on how many miles you are planning to do each year, and how much of that is motorway etc..:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
postcode is an issue with the S nearly 250 per year more (expensive postcode region).

Not a bank breaker, but the whole point of changing cars was to have a bit more of a manageable cost per month, ins + fuel + finance and a lower risk of car expiry than my current steed

all food for thought, I'll see what the dealer can do

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Mine had a new clutch at 21700, but apparently thats unusual. Other than that, the main thing that wears is the disks and pads, and also tyres!!! Should be about it, but you'll have a warranty if it goes wrong!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what is included in the warranty, which is min 12 months vs. the TLC extension

does the warranty cover consumables like clutch etc in the first year?

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
what is included in the warranty, which is min 12 months vs. the TLC extension

does the warranty cover consumables like clutch etc in the first year?
I think the warranty is the same as the factory one, but I could be wrong...

The TLC is just servicing and is on the car, not the owner so you can transfer it. TLC is not a warranty.;)

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Factory warranty is 3 years/unlimited mileage - consumables (i.e. clutch) are only covered for 12 months.

On Cherished cars where vehicle is over two years old, the warranty is 1 year/unlimited mileage.

TLC is a servicing pack, and what it covers varies between 1st gen and 2nd gen MINIs.

·
Registered
593 Posts
buy from a good dealer and the warranty, will cover virtually everything without argument. Buy from an average dealer, no matter how good the sales force, you will have fun trying to get things "done" under warranty.

Derek Wooman , are exceptional.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
I got a new clutch under warranty, and mine is over 1 year old!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi there. i,m not sure about the discount and other stuff as i brought my car new but i will give you some advice on the dealer. I used oliver as my contact who i thought was really good at his job. BUT!!! i will never use the service dept again ever!! i had only had my car from new 6 months and had a major problem with it:mad: I was messed about royal with regards to poor communication and poor service. but its up to you.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Worth talking to 2-3 dealers in your situation mate to play them off against each other.

R53 CS's are'nt flying off the forecourts at the mo. Bid hard they can only say no.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everyone who's replied to this thread. One of the best thing about getting a new car is a new forum to enjoy!

I've just agreed to purchase a British Racing Green 06 Cooper Chilli. I feel like I've got a decent deal, 290 off the screen price, extra 100 for my trade in, 6 months tax, full tank of petrol and got a reduced APR rate for MINI Select.

Can't wait, pick it up in two weeks - due to private plate transfer :(

First time I've bought this new car, I'm quite excited!!! Was surprised how rorty the Cooper sounds for a small engine

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Thanks to everyone who's replied to this thread. One of the best thing about getting a new car is a new forum to enjoy!

I've just agreed to purchase a British Racing Green 06 Cooper Chilli. I feel like I've got a decent deal, 290 off the screen price, extra 100 for my trade in, 6 months tax, full tank of petrol and got a reduced APR rate for MINI Select.

Can't wait, pick it up in two weeks - due to private plate transfer :(

First time I've bought this new car, I'm quite excited!!! Was surprised how rorty the Cooper sounds for a small engine
Sounds good, I'm a fan of BRG. What colour roof/wheels do you have?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts