MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Man from the Ministry
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there MINI2. com world,

I'm new to the forum and on Friday 19th, I shall be picking up my very first MINI Cooper S Works (1st gen) and I have to say that I'm a tad excited.

This will be the first car that I've owned that I no absolutely NOTHING about. I'm an ex MG Rover employee and a lot of my old colleagues were responsible for the design and development of the cars that you all own and love. I joined MGR after the split so the cars were a fading memory for most.

I'm moving from a car a had a lot to do with the development with to a car that is new and alien so I hope that I can find a lot of help and advice on here.

As an aside, I now work for the Vehicle Certification Agency here in the UK so I'm the guy who now tests and ensures that you are safe in your cars. I do all of the legislative testing on vehicles so if you have any legal or legislative questions about your cars, just ask.

I can tell you if some of the things you do to your cars would be viewed as legal and above board!!

Hope to get involved once I've got my sticky paws on my new toy this week

Cheers

Nic

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,172 Posts
Welcome aboard! :D

Superb choice of car there, I wouldn't want anything else :D

Tigger.

·
Man from the Ministry
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to MINI2 Nic.

Once you experience the superchager whine you'll be hooked:biggrin:.

Hope the weather stays good for pick up:wink:
Well you see that's been the problem. I LOVE SUPERCHARGERS!!!!!

This problem first arose when I was doing some development on the MG ZT V8 supercharged 400 bhp cars I used to work on. Once the S/C kicked in and started to whine that was it, I was hooked. It's the most wonderful intoxicating sound you'll ever come across - always reminds me of a sound out of Star Wars from the various "engines".

So when we decided to go for a MINI this was a most important thing for me on the Cooper S. Then when I found out that I could pick up a Works for a similar price to a standard S, my fate was sealed.

I just can't wait for that sound on Friday. I've got a fab drive back from Norwich too, plently of twisty country roads so I'm sure that my first tank of fuel will be consumed swiftly :hmph:

Getting a 1st gen car was also important as it was the last car to come out of my old company so there is a bit of a link there and I'm also not a fan of the turbo engine to be honest in the 2nd gen (I'll get shot now won't I from the 2nd Gen people!!) and the S/C sealed the deal as it were!

S/C for me!!!!!

·
T o t a l m i n i . c o m
4,467 Posts
Congrats mate:D:D Would love to see some piccies if you have them:D:D

I love my Supercharger also, wouldn't swap it for anything:D:D:D

·
Man from the Ministry
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I've got a few pics, but they're from the current owner.

Once I've got the car back home, then I'll get some proper pics up (if it's easy enough to do on here).

For starters though, it's a graphite grey one (or whatever it's real name is), with a panoramic glass sunroof, blue/grey leather seats and more goodies that I originally bargained for like full ATC, rain (I think) and parking sensors and xenons! It'll soon have a DAB radio fitted too!

Larger one's to follow soon!

·
Man from the Ministry
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WAHEY!!!!!

Picked up the car yesterday and had a total hoot driving all the way home in it!!

Love it - got an absolutely fantastic car, it's probably clearner now that when it came off the production line!!!

Lots of goodies and drives wonderfully well - and you're soooooo right about the supercharger, it encourages you to play with the loud pedal and gets you looking for (safe!!!!) overtakes.

I know understand what all the fuss is about with MINI ownership.

Time to learn the chassis and decide if the runf flat tyres are relly worth sticking with as I did find the ride a little choppy with them, but hey, early days.

Hello MINI world!!

Nic

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,172 Posts
Really pleased to hear it's worked out so well; I certainly wouldn't be without my supercharger! :D I get the feeling that the 1st Generation is going to keep a dedicated following.

Tigger.

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Congratulations on your new MINI :)
Good user name btw..Discworld fan by anychance ;)

Do you go on Bernard's or Eltons site by any chance??

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
Welcome to Mini2! :D

I'm also not a fan of the turbo engine to be honest in the 2nd gen (I'll get shot now won't I from the 2nd Gen people!!)

S/C for me!!!!!
I'm a 2nd gen person! :D

The new turbo engine is quiet, smooth, torquey, powerful, economical, light, and environmentally friendly.

However despite a twin-scroll turbocharger it does lag very slightly and it doesn't sound particularly interesting so I'll forgive you for your comment! :D

·
Man from the Ministry
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congratulations on your new MINI :)
Good user name btw..Discworld fan by anychance ;)

Do you go on Bernard's or Eltons site by any chance??
HUGE Discworld fan, been reading the books now pretty much sne the arrived on the planet!! No, I don't go on Bernard or Eltons site - haven't got a clue who they are!!!

Told you I'd upset the 2nd gen people :biggrin: :hmph:

Environmentally friendly is in the eye of those that want it to be (arf). I test cars for emissions on a regular basis during type approval testing and they're all clean and environmentally friendly, even the big engines. Most cars have got to the stage now where they actually clean the air as they drive through it. Without CO2, we'd all be in a right mess!!!

Anyway, I'm sure in traditional dealership style, when my car goes in for a service, they'll lend me a 2nd gen car to tempt me into changing to one in the future!!!!

But for now, listening to a lovely S/C whine at me (a lot!!) keeps me smiling. And the fuel guage isn't plummeting as fast as I'd been warned about too! On my drive home Friday night, down the motorway bits, I was seeing (although I know they're optimistic) the trip computer sitting at a happy 42 mpg - so knock off 4 which is the usual rule of thumb and 37 , 38 mpg seems pretty good to me. That's the kind of motoring it'll be seeing mostly so quite pleased - especially as coming from a diesel engine to a petrol engine!

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
I've sent you a PM with a few Discworld sites you might want to look at :)

·
Banned
305 Posts
Welcome on board!! I too am a 2nd gen owner!..:p..... But I agree with you! I really miss that whining noise and the 1st Gen really handles the road better in my opinion! Lower centre of gravity I guess. I love my new one but really really miss the whine of the supercharger from old Bluebabe!
Don't miss the fuel consumption though!!:aargh:

Stil I do have a whiney waterpump on my 2nd Gen! Still not the same tho;)

·
My brain hurts!
4,880 Posts
Welcome to MINI2, I'm sure you'll enjoy many exhilerating miles of fun listening to that super charger whine. I used to own a first gen' S as well, now in a Cooper Clubman. Miss the rawness of the 'S' but not the fuel consumption!!

·
Man from the Ministry
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well, here I am, 4 days into my MINI ownership and I have to say that I'm loving it.

I've had a proper "supercharger" assessment tank of fuel which seemed to pour out of the back of the exhausts if you know what I mean and got the mpg to show for it, now I'm having a sensible tank of fuel to see what I can get out of it to then work out the best of both worlds.

I'll admit there is only one real position for the "loud" pedal and that's digital position 1!!!!

However a tinge of being sensible must rule too so on my jaunt into work (based at MIRA on the A5 in Nuneaton for those that know it) all down the A444 and other roads, I'm managing an indicated 39mpg at the moment and that's at constant 60mph type speeds, so I seem to be getting the best of both worlds at the moment.

However, I'm now about to have a week away from the car as I'm off out to India tomorrow afternoon on business. Off to Tata Motors to go and do some vehicle approval work on a new car. So 1 whole week without and supercharger whine :frown::frown::frown:

Get back in the car on 3rd October so that will result in much :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts