MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Black Mini Cooper 2008 1.6 Petrol
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased my daughter a 2012 Mini Cooper with 90k. I worked for Ford Motor Company for 35yrs I could not persuade her to have a Ford. I can honestly say it has been nothing but trouble since purchased utter crap. I expected teething problems but it has taken over my life one thing after another , never again.

·
Registered
Black Mini Cooper 2008 1.6 Petrol
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do feel better for it, the engine may need replacing/repaired because of low oil because some idiot designed that stupid dipstick for checking oil. My daughter through no fault of her own checked oil levels thinking it was OK but that so called dipstick was giving false readings

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dipstick aint fit for purpose, nearly fell foul myself not long after buying my mini. Get lots of problems with them but really fun to drive.

If keeping it, you can buy a better dipstick or when checking oil level give the oil some time to drain back down the dipstick tube but you probably know that by now.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
many people have been caught out by it and more so as they use oil by design,,, i sprat paint etch primer on dip stick so its grey helps to read them, another trick is use a piece of paper, ie pull dipstick clean it off dry with a rag so dry, then re-dip pull out hold tip downwards and rest paper down one edge ,, where the paper stays dry and turns wet is the correct reading

Reactions: valveman

·
Registered
99 Posts
you can also wipe it dry and insert the dipstick ,not all the way in just to the base of the handle is touching the top of the tube,take the reading and add 25mm ish to the oil showing on the stick level .if this makes sense

1 - 6 of 6 Posts