MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just popped the wheels off to check the rear brakes,
and just before putting the wheels back on i noticed some strands of nylon between the inner shoulder tread block, on closer inspection through the strands i could see steel cord,
(3mm hole)
these tyres are original and have been on the rear of the car from new and got 5mm of tread right across the tyre,
the car is 41/2 yrs old has done approx 35000 miles,
this is both rear wheels same place at its worse,
just wondering if theres been any probs/recalls with these tyres? or is due to there age?:puzzled:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Just popped the wheels off to check the rear brakes,
and just before putting the wheels back on i noticed some strands of nylon between the inner shoulder tread block, on closer inspection through the strands i could see steel cord,
(3mm hole)
these tyres are original and have been on the rear of the car from new and got 5mm of tread right across the tyre,
the car is 41/2 yrs old has done approx 35000 miles,
this is both rear wheels same place at its worse,
just wondering if theres been any probs/recalls with these tyres? or is due to there age?:puzzled:
Happened on my car too. I found out when I turned a corner and the front went all wallowy. The low air indicator didn't even come on. Closer inspection showed the tread separating from the sidewall on the inside. After switching to non-runflat tires, I sent my car in for a wheel alignment. I was surprised to find the rear wheel toe out of spec by quite a bit. This might have been the cause.

When I had the runflats, I had the car in the tireshop for something or other every six months. I've had the non-runflats on for a year now and have had no issues. I'm wondering if the newer runflat tires are just as fragile.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Beken,
i'm going to replace the tyres this weekend and get the rear end checked for alignment,(knowing my luck it's prob been like it since new).:(

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've had the Dunlop runflats, Pirelli runflats, and now the Kumho runflats on my car. Both Dunlop, and Kumho have given excellent service. The Pirellis were nothing but trouble. They are crap.

Alan

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thinking about it now it can't be a tracking problem,
as the wear across the tyre is even (5mm) deep, if the tracking was out in any way the edges would be worn more than the rest of the tyre,
I'm having them changed tommorrow, and gonna get the wheel and tyre guys opinion regarding were i stand about making a claim,
i'm sure this is got to be a manufacturing fault of some kind.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had the tyres replaced today,
showed the tyre tech the problem, he'd never seen this before and agrees there's def an issue,
have filled a claim form and the tyres are going back to pirelli to be assesed

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got some info now
recieved a letter a few weeks ago from Pirelli,
i got 80% back from the tyre dealer in compo,
no reason from the manufacturer why the tyres had behaved like they did.:red:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Good to know you have the issue resolved.
I have had Pirelli tires at various times on my other cars. Even non-runflat tires. My general thought on Pirelli rubber is that they are great tires once warmed up. However, when cold, they are awfully hard and noisy. Being in Canada, we have some pretty cold morning temperatures in the winter and the first 10 or 15 minutes of driving usually includes driving with a flat spot. Being rather hard, the tires appear to also be more susceptible to puncture or leaking air at the bead. Could be that Pirelli tires are more suited for cars in warm temperature regions of the world.

I had hoped that this would not be an issue with their runflats, but I guess I was wrong. My current non-runflat tires (also not Pirelli) on my MINI have not had any issues at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts