MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can anyone shed light on the n47 engine as to whether there is a front or back to the piston and conrod they look to me anyway round as their not offset or anything.
Thanks in advance...…….

·
Registered
189 Posts
They do have an orientation. I rebuilt an N47D20A around Christmas time, I remember them having an arrow on the crown. I presume you are using new pistons, not reusing old ones?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They do have an orientation. I rebuilt an N47D20A around Christmas time, I remember them having an arrow on the crown. I presume you are using new pistons, not reusing old ones?
Hi thanks for reply .
yes there is an arrow I just about can see it as I`m using existing pistons ,which way do they face pully side or flywheel side. Also the id markings on piston as you read them the arrow is pointing to he left.
Thanks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The arrow goes towards the front of the engine (away from the timing chain on n47). If you're reusing pistons they really should be going back in the bores they came from. As long as you're changing the big end shells and rings you should be fine though.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
mark everything direction of end caps and what rod and piston they fit to etc, as all parts might the same but may not be equal

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mark everything direction of end caps and what rod and piston they fit to etc, as all parts might the same but may not be equal..
Thanks for the advise. While on here I`m checking oil pump anything in particular to look for

·
Registered
189 Posts
Be very careful fitting the large casting attached to the back of the oil pump. There are threaded spacers between it and the block. If these moved (and they tend to) when you removed the pump there's a good chance you'll crack the large casting when you refit it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts