MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I’m knew to this forum and have recently bought a 2010 (60 plate) 1.6 Mini Cooper. Yesterday, whilst changing the spark plugs I noticed the tops of them where covered in oil, and there was a fair amount of oil being held in the tubes surrounding the spark plugs. I searched around and came to the conclusion that I should change my rocker cover gasket, this makes sense as there is a lot of oily muck around the top end of the engine.
I’ve managed to source a rocker cover gasket from my local car parts place but my big question is, is there anything else I should change whilst I’ve got the cover off other than the actual gasket? In a post I read on this forum, O-rings around the spark plugs where mentioned? I’ve seen that you can get kits but I plan on just sourcing the parts separately for my local parts place.

Any help/advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
yes you will need the spark plug holes gaskets and the 2 smaller ones for the two bolts that are in middle of cover, also some sealant two blobs on thermostat end of head where the gasket surface climbs as such,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes you will need the spark plug holes gaskets and the 2 smaller ones for the two bolts that are in middle of cover, also some sealant two blobs on thermostat end of head where the gasket surface climbs as such,
Thanks for the help, it’s much appreciated!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a gasket kit bought for a 2011 R56 Cooper, (non S) from Neo Bros. I had to buy a new rocker cover which came with the gasket, so it's not needed, it has all the necessary gaskets for spark plugs and the 2 bolts. I have opened the plastic wrapper it came in., but otherwise it is as new.
Part no 11127567877-0
You can have it for £15 inc post.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What I use is O-Ring Silicon Sealant on the rubber gasket itself. And make sure to only torque to the recommended. I think it is 9 pounds. Don't quote me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts