MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

:D

just started my de-chroming mod on my 2002 cooper s just done the fuel cap and was look at doing the headlight covers.

could any one tell me how to get them off as im stumped on how to remove them :confused:

thanks

Danny

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
agree with your opinion of plastidip its great

theres a thread in the photos section I posted when I did mine with a bit of a guide on doing the headlight rings

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
well i just finished my side vents and petrol cap next the rings :eek:
:cool: It's looking good! :D

What are your thoughts on doing the door handles and chrome line too? Cool, or too much? :confused:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oooo deferentially gettin rid of all my chrome, i started doing my belt line but the electrical tape i bought to do it was to wide and i rahter not cut it to size, but the only stuff i seen that is the right size for the job is from america and i rather not import it.

hopefully if all goes to well i get round to doing my badges and cooper s badge in black too to really complete the look

·
Registered
619 Posts
oooo deferentially gettin rid of all my chrome, i started doing my belt line but the electrical tape i bought to do it was to wide and i rahter not cut it to size, but the only stuff i seen that is the right size for the job is from america and i rather not import it.

hopefully if all goes to well i get round to doing my badges and cooper s badge in black too to really complete the look
I bought the stuff you talk about ^^ from the USofA on the recommendation of someone on M2 - I think the total cost was about £18 and it's great stuff and the correct width too :cool:

·
Delete Cookies!
1,945 Posts
I bought the stuff you talk about ^^ from the USofA on the recommendation of someone on M2 - I think the total cost was about £18 and it's great stuff and the correct width too :cool:
I bought the same stuff from Out Motoring, its about $12 and postage is cheaper if you phone them.

I had a go at de-chroming my MINI winged badges, I'm rather pleased with how they turned out :)

I think they really stand out against the Electric Blue paint.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow i thought it be like more than that to import it in. Might just have to do that :)

how easy was it to take the badge off and what did you use to put it back on?

·
Delete Cookies!
1,945 Posts
wow i thought it be like more than that to import it in. Might just have to do that :)

how easy was it to take the badge off and what did you use to put it back on?
Postage on mine was similar :)

I used dental floss to seperate the badge from the MINI but cuting the sticky sponge backing.

I got a new set of badge to de-chrome in case I made a mess of it, so the stick sponge backing was in place and ready to stick the badge back on,

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i finaly did my headlight rings, unfortanatly i only had time to do one so now my car looks like its been in a fight and got a black eye :p

i will post pics at a later date of how to remove the headlight rings as i found it hard to do and think that pictures would help others :)

Attachments

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
Postage on mine was similar :)

I used dental floss to seperate the badge from the MINI but cuting the sticky sponge backing.

I got a new set of badge to de-chrome in case I made a mess of it, so the stick sponge backing was in place and ready to stick the badge back on,
Did I not notice something on Sunday? :S

Sounds interesting although I cant see the picture in work.

Oh yes kipperhughes the side vents look really really good!!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well finally finished dechroming my headlight rings, was more difficult than i anticipated :mad:

the rings are a B***H to get off!!! :angry:

The method i used to get them off was to mask off the headlight rings

DSC00065.JPG

Then i located the tiny 3 tabs around the bottom of the ring (circled in red, sorry for bad image)

DSC00067.JPG

I gently!!!! used a screw drive to push the clips off the light so the ring bottom was lose

DSC00068.JPG

Then slowly work your way round the ring gently priseing the ring off, this will take some time as its very hard to do. Becareful not to dent your paint its easily done :(

I found that sliding a knife or cutting blade under the ring helps as there are some very strong tape sticking the ring to the light so freeing them makes its alot easier. Once its off chear and celebrate and then start painting :tongue:

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i have both the aersol and the paint can one, i find near to imposible to do anything useful with the can even dipping my badges in the can was a disaster!! i recomend the spray its alot easier to use

1 - 20 of 53 Posts