MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have 51 reg Mini One. Its done 44,000 miles. I wasnt sure whether this is the right place to post so mod, please move if appropriate.

In addition to having electrical problems (see BC1 thread posted earlier) I am also experiencing problems with my engine oil.

I had my last oil change at 31,000 miles and my mileage is now 44,000.

Last week, I checked my oil level and on the dipstick it was lower than the low level on the dipstick.

I was just about to drive to London so nipped to the garage with my dad and bought a litre of engine oil (cost about £8 cant remember the brand).

We filled it up and it actually took 1.5 litres to fill the oil up so it was halfway between the lowest and highest levels on the dipstick.

I drove to London and back (approx 350 miles) and have just checked my oil again.

It is again lower than the lowest level on the dipstick. I havent noticed any oil leaks/ marks on my driveway so dont think it is leaking.

Why is my car using so much oil?

My car is due for a service (inspection 2) in 2,000 miles. Could it have anything to do with needing a service/ check over or is there something dramatically wrong?

I have noticed that my exhaust is blacker (since coming back from London).

I would really appreciate all views as if this is something I need to go back to the garage about, I want to seem as if I know what I am talking about as they never seem to listen to what I say!

If it is something I need to get checked out, should I go back to mini dealership or is this something that a local generic garage could easily sort?

Many thanks, :smile:

·
still learning
1,270 Posts
how long have you had the car ?

you need to let the car sit for about five minutes before checking the oil level remember, or you will get a false reading.

if you are sure there are no oil leaks then it could be burning some oil.

by your readings it used about a litre of oil over 350mls, which is excessive and needs investigation if this is the case.

what to do is check the oil level when the car has sat ( engine switched off ) for about five minutes, top oil up to max mark on dipstick ( pour oil in slowly and leave again for five mins to settle ), run the car for about 300mls then again let it sit for five mins and recheck the oil level.

if you were actually burning a litre of oil/350mls you would be able to see it as a puff of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust when you accelerate hard in second or third gear, and may even be able to see it in your rear view mirror !!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Did you put the correct engine oil in? I don't remember for sure but I didn't think the correct oil was the sort of thing you could pick up at the local garage? I thought it was something very specific?

·
Registered
286 Posts
First off, I think the Mini should get an oil and filter change every 7,000 miles or so, these long intervals are not good for the engine in my experience. If you used 1.5 liters of oil in 350 miles, you would have noticed smoke from the exhaust as the smoke cloud enveloped you at stop lights. Generally, cars burning a quart every 1000 miles or less will exhibit oil smoke while running. What I'm saying is I don't think the engine is burning the oil, I think you are leaking it somewhere. Get it looked at by someone who knows what to look for and where. The Mini has a dopey oil filter arrangement that is conducive to leaks, spillage and other problems, start there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for all your replies. It is really appreciated. It is going to the dealers tomorrow for investigation.

I take your point that I would probably see smoke coming from the exhaust and I havent seen any smoke at all......

However, I did smell engine oil burn smell :D when I got out of my car this afternoon though after doing a 10 min journey on motorway... ? :D

My car is a 51 reg but I have had it 3 years and in that time, it has had the Inspection 1 service at 18,000 miles and an oil change at 31,000 - it is now on 44,000 miles.

And also, I take the point about the oil I put into the car. Before I drove to London, my dad filled it with oil bought from the Texaco garage which he assured me would be ok for my car ..... it was only a few days ago that I read in the owners manual that the mini should actually use BMW approved oil....... any more thoughts on this?

I definitely havent seen any evidence of oil leakages on my driveway.....

I will post what happens at the dealership tomorrow.

Thanks once again for all your help and comments. :smile:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts