MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reeally not a traitor, it's a running joke amongst my friends how much I adore my MINI. I really do! But, I've always intended on changing it after a year or so, which gives me a good 7+ months to go - not a problem, but I have been looking at other cars too. I would love to upgrade to an S, but having just forked out €3K for insurance on my Cooper I dread to think how much an S would cost to insure. I was also convinced I wanted the convertible but since seeing it in "real life" I've changed my mind. But I love Convertible cars! So my heart truly is woth MINI's...honestly. But, I've fallen for the Smart Roadster. I really like it. I'm really unsure what to do and I think in the back of my mind I'm posting this because I want Ya'll to remind me how great MINI is and perhaps point out some bad point's of the roadster...besides the super small engine....I'm confused.

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
Noooooooooooooooooo smarts are toooo slow!!!!! and to small!!!! I know the MINI is not to big, but common on lou!!!!!!! :p MINI :D

·
World Wide Flying Ace
830 Posts
I drive past a Merc dealership every couple of days and I can honestly say I think the Smart roadster is pretty cool. I know it's slow, but it has a little of that special something the mini has - character.
The coupe looks good as well.... :eek: imo...

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, and this is what's making me like it -

"Of all the cars we have driven recently, this is without doubt the most fun. The Roadster is a two door, two seat sports car with an 80bhp turbocharged engine that chirps and whirs into life. This car has amazing handling. On a narrow twisty back road you will have the best fun ever. Factor in that around town, thanks to its clutchless transmission that it is really easy to drive and you have a brilliant package all round. They are not cheap but after you have driven the Roadster or indeed the CoupŽ (glass back and more luggage space) you will decide that it is worth paying this much money for this much driving pleasure."

Price is €27K

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
You've got to drive one. The transmission is (in my honest opinion) horrible! Lets the car down quite a bit.

The car is very light and does handle well (not THAT well, but very well none the less). It's simple a small, light, cheap, fun car.

Sorry any smart fans out there, I do like the car (apart from the new forfour), but think it's over rated and VERY over priced.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Paul Mullett said:
You've got to drive one. The transmission is (in my honest opinion) horrible! Lets the car down quite a bit.

The car is very light and does handle well (not THAT well, but very well none the less). It's simple a small, light, cheap, fun car.

Sorry any smart fans out there, I do like the car (apart from the new forfour), but think it's over rated and VERY over priced.
I agree. I was about to get this car. I read reports about the leaking door mirrors (seems to happen after 2000-3000km of use) and an a/c hose that jams up flooding the passenger floor (depends on how lucky you are). These are minor gliches and I was thinking about going ahead and getting the thing when I read reports of the paint on the tridion cell peeling off. These were followed with reports of rust on the cell itself (happening with silver coloured tridion cells). However these are reports in Japan. I expect it is a lot dryer in Ireland so you may not have this problem.

I need something which is a little more practical than this so my choices were narrowed down to an Integra R, Integra S or an MCS.

·
Wandering....
40,849 Posts
Louise ! Stop it.............:mad:

Wash your mouth out.............:p Smart Roadster indeed..........;) Wait till you get in convoy around Donegal on a run, that will let you see part of what the MINI ia all about.........its a lifestyle.........;) :D

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
emijah said:
I expect it is a lot dryer in Ireland so you may not have this problem.
I know everyone else has already picked up on this - but I just wanted to too. :rolleyes: :D

K, thanx everyone, think that was the convincing I needed, had a chat with a guy in work this morning (he's got a ferarri) and he described it as something that should belong in legoland, and then he said "You'll miss your mini if you get it" so that was kinda enough for me. Plus the whole 80bhp just wasn't doing it for me :cool:

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Mini Lou said:
I know everyone else has already picked up on this - but I just wanted to too. :rolleyes: :D

K, thanx everyone, think that was the convincing I needed, had a chat with a guy in work this morning (he's got a ferarri) and he described it as something that should belong in legoland, and then he said "You'll miss your mini if you get it" so that was kinda enough for me. Plus the whole 80bhp just wasn't doing it for me :cool:
:D

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I've drove one a couple of times. tbh I really liked it. It isn't quick but feels quick because of the excellent handling and chassis. The visiblity out of the back is rubbish and the gearbox is terrible. By the time it chooses the next gear you have lost any pace you had built up. I simply couldn't live with the auto box as it's too slow :rolleyes: Also you fall into the car and it is so low it would get on my nerves getting in and out of it.
The final nail in the coffin is it's made of plastic and felt cheap. And it wasn't cheap. Specced to any standard it was over £15k :confused:
It would sell but it is seriously over priced. I see it as sub £10k fun car ;)

Go have a drive :cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
ONED said:
Well said Aiden, It's not just a car it's a way of life! - part of the family, and part of a community:)
I have feeling that saying that it's a "way of life" is putting it pretty mildly. The people around me at work think I'm posessed. Actually it's come to the point where they go to the MINI dealer to ask if the car is coming soon, as they want to have a conversation that doesn't involve MINI's in some form or another...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
17 Participants
ROOBRYJ
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing