MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone i wonder if you can help...

I have had my mini one for around 3 years it was registered in 2001. In March 08 i had some problems with the electrics. The symtoms consisted of, indicators working but not showing on the dashboard, headlights not coming on, dashboard lights not coming on, break light staying on when i had switched my engine off, the tyre pressure light on and then it completly cut out and wouldn't start. I took it into a garage and they said it was the central control module and that is was a common thing that goes wrong on mini's...

The control module, diagnostic check, labour and ECU cost me nearly £500!! And now my car has got all the same problems again... therefore the above what was done will need to be done again. Has this happened to anyone's mini before?

Thanks

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
If you paid for the repair, the dealer must provide a 12 month warranty on the repair and any parts used. As above, take it back to them, and let them sort it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys will do. They will probably fob me off and say it is something completely different now so they don't have to fix the problem... I'll keep you informed!!

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Hi everyone i wonder if you can help...

I have had my mini one for around 3 years it was registered in 2001. In March 08 i had some problems with the electrics. The symtoms consisted of, indicators working but not showing on the dashboard, headlights not coming on, dashboard lights not coming on, break light staying on when i had switched my engine off, the tyre pressure light on and then it completly cut out and wouldn't start. I took it into a garage and they said it was the central control module and that is was a common thing that goes wrong on mini's...

The control module, diagnostic check, labour and ECU cost me nearly £500!! And now my car has got all the same problems again... therefore the above what was done will need to be done again. Has this happened to anyone's mini before?

Thanks
Did a BMW dealer carry out the work and did they fit the later plastic water shield over the BC1 as was fitted to later MINI's?
The most common cause of electrical problems on early 2001-2002 MINI's is often related to water/ damp causing corrosion inside or shorting out the connections of the BC1 (Body Control Module).

The BC1 (Body Control Unit) is in the drivers side (UK) footwell, it controls many electrical items and can send many things haywire if even a drip of water gets into its pcb connectors until it dries out. If you pull the footwell bonnet catch lever, hold it open & shine in a torch behind the trim panel you will see the top 2 multiway connectors (Blue) to the BC1 or a black plastic cover. Early MINI's (pre 2003 approx) did not have the black plastic shield over the connectors to protect them from any small drips of water running down cable harness inside the windscreen pillar. Later cars do, my 2002 Mini only had a piece of clear plastic film draped over the connectors (a factory or dealer stop gap fix I guess) and was randomly locking / unlocking the central locking by itself after any rain / wet weather, washing the car, etc. I removed the inner sill plastic trim panel & fitted the later water shield cover (part no.61356942512 approx. £2) over the 2 top connector plugs.
LINK - See Diagram Item 9
If this is the problem again do not ignore - fit the shield - as long term corrosion inside the BC1 means a new unit.....very expensive outside warranty as you have found out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi
Still on the subject of the body control module i have recently bought a 2002 Mini One for my wife and the wipers don't park were they should. I took it yesterday to Bowker Mini @ Preston to have a diagnostic check done and they tell me that the module is faulty due to ingress of water. The windows do mist up inside slightly so there is moisture in there somewhere.
Apparently BMW tell me that the windscreen is non BMW so a possible problem there, further investiation needed.

Is it possible that BMW are correct in what they say and is it a full replacement or is it possible to repair?? There is a compamy that I found (BBA-reman) that will repair at a cost of about £100 - £150 plus postage plus vat), seems a bit steep to me, the only benefit being that it won,t need re-mapping .
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Take the BCU out of the car and dismantle it and dry it out with a hairdier.
Inspect the PCB for corrosion and remove use contact cleaner.
Put it back in car.
Cross fingers.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
The plot thickens............................BMW said that the BCU was faulty due to water ingress. On investigation I have found that they are partly correct..........there is water ingress, obvious because of the condensation. But on further investigation I have discovered hat when you just use the front wipers they are perfect.....as soon as you incorporate the rear wiper into th equation they park wherever they want (front & rear), furthermore I have discovered a water leak through the rear windscreen after dismantling all the trim and putting a hose on it, it pours in, so t,s off to Autoglass tomorrow to have the rear screen removed and re-bonded and my tae on all this is that the rear wiper motor has suffered water ingress with the watr working it's way aroung the inner trim which would explain it's sporadic operation. So when I have taken it all to bits in preparation for the re-bonding I will let you have the verdict..........as for BMW technicians and their quote of nearly £500 to replace an item which I don,t think is faulty?? ............would you mind if I kept that thought to myself??

Incidentaly the front footwells are bone dry, the boot lining is more than damp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts