MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a fab little red mini one

Last month the reverse gear kept 'slipping out'...I took it to Sytner and they charged me £2,500 for a new gearbox...I have subsequently found out that because my car is a 52 plate and has only done 50,000 miles I should have asked for a hefty discount. Even though my friends told me the dealership took advantage because I am a girl, I didn't complain and just put it down to experience.

However now at low speeds my steering is very heavy...I phoned my dealership and they want £80 just to look at it! Anxious not to repeat the same mistake as before I thought I woould have a look on forums etc, and I can see there are problems with the Mini steering. However I am not sure if I have the same problem as some of the language used is quite technical.

I have looked at the power steering fluid which I think is the one nearly the back centre of the engine and it appears to be above minimum if I am looking at the right one (Its got a small black dipstick and see through container?)

Therefore i am not sure what it could be? Any ideas before I get potentially stung again at the delearship?

Thank you in anticipation of any help
KatieC

·
Registered
5,858 Posts

Last month the reverse gear kept 'slipping out'...I took it to Sytner and they charged me £2,500 for a new gearbox...I have subsequently found out that because my car is a 52 plate and has only done 50,000 miles I should have asked for a hefty discount. Even though my friends told me the dealership took advantage because I am a girl, I didn't complain and just put it down to experience.

However now at low speeds my steering is very heavy...I phoned my dealership and they want £80 just to look at it! Anxious not to repeat the same mistake as before I thought I woould have a look on forums etc, and I can see there are problems with the Mini steering. However I am not sure if I have the same problem as some of the language used is quite technical.

I have looked at the power steering fluid which I think is the one nearly the back centre of the engine and it appears to be above minimum if I am looking at the right one (Its got a small black dipstick and see through container?)

Therefore i am not sure what it could be? Any ideas before I get potentially stung again at the delearship?

Thank you in anticipation of any help
KatieC
Power steering failure on MINI's does not necessarily affect the fluid level as it is normally due to failure of the electric motor which drives the pump and not to fluid leaks. The power steering can come and go in the early stages of failing but should be fixed before complete failure occurs................you will retain steering ok but it will feel very heavy to turn !
If the PS motor continues to run when engine is off at any time, disconnect the battery asap or you can overheat the fluid and cause expensive damage to the steering rack seals and or wiring loom to the PS motor/ pump.
See PS thread below for 'Neurobeakers' advice on getting goodwill payment from MINI UK :-
http://www.mini2.com/forum/faults-f...ering-pump-failure-please-vote-yes-no-30.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both so much
I am in Cardiff.
It appears therefore the best thing to do is to take it in and accept the diagnostic charge and then go for a goodwill payment to cover the charge.
Here goes!!

·
Registered
57 Posts

Katie.

"Slipping out" is a nasty problem but at least you got it sorted.
It might not be too late to give Sytner another chance to seek goodwill from BMW/mini.
Ring them up and tell them what you now know.

I got half off the fitted cost of my new box (2002 One, with c.50,000). Saving of about £950.
That must be worth making a nuisance of yourself.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
If it is a power steering fault i'd suggest going somewhere other than BMW for it. BMW have been known to fit recon pumps as well as new, and TBH recons can be done anywhere.

If your in the Midlands I'd consider ThinkMINI (they did mine for an excellent price both parts and labour), if your over to the East I'd see if 1320 could fit you in, if your south of London then I'd consider Mod n mini (Kent).

If your up north then someone else wil have to recomend a place

1 - 6 of 6 Posts