MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that I need to remove the rear bumper on my '04 Cooper (just the bright plastic bit, not the whole structure underneath).

I've removed all the trim in the boot and I didn't find anything there.

I've removed the spare wheel and there's nothing up there.

Please could anyone help and tell me where the mounting bolts are?

Thanks a lot folks.....

Tigger.

·
The de Chromed MINI
3,218 Posts
Hello, there are quite a few fixings

open the boot and there are 2 screws,

underneath the bumper there are 5 screws on the bottom trim piece,

there are two plastic screws in each rear wheel well, unscrew and remove the piece of plastic that the screw goes into,

then there are two screws holding the bumper to the car these are under wheel arch trim, you need to pull the arch trim towards you, a short sharp tug should do it!!

then pull the bumper and it should come off nice and easy

hope this helps

Rob

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Hi this is the way i did it!

Undo the screws in the arches after moving the wheel arch covers out of the way

Under the bumper there i a few screws undo them,

There is big cover underneath the car protecting the exhaust move this to the side and there is a huge bolt undo this,

Take the rubber covers off the screws when looking at the rim around your boot. These should come undone then your bumper should be loose. I then couldn't figure out how to detatch the plastic trim from the car so I ripped these from the bumper cover and then clipped these back on to my replacement bumper.

When you take your bumper off be careful as there is a metal reinforcement at the top of your bumper and this may fall out as you remove the bumper. this needs to be put back in the same way.

I basically did a search for all the information I could find in all thethreads of the forum and then did this myself. Its quite hard to get into the wheels arches as the wheels are still there blocking the easy access to the screws in there. You can either take the whells off or use a stubby screw driver!

Good luck.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much to both of you. Guess what I shall be doing tomorrow afternoon!

Rep points on their way.....

Tigger

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love MINI said:
Hey how did it go? Did you figure it out?

\Thanks for the rep!
Well, actually I found a way around the whole problem!

I had purchased a kit to retro fit the '05 rear lights to my '04 Cooper that needed the cable to the centre rear lamp replaced. This required the rear bumper's removal. After having read your instructions I then realised that BMW's instructions were rubbish and it just wasn't necessary. I was able to cut the cable into the existing wiring loom in the boot!

I'm very happy with the result!

Photo below:

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts