MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals my central locking doesn't work on my mini 1.4 diesel 2003 so I've brought a universal kit but I can't find a basic wiring diagram for any of the locking system I figured I'd wiring it into the toggle switch pls help guys

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry, but you would be better off fixing the broken standard components. Start with the drivers door lock mechanism as this controls the others.

I'm not sure you can piggy back a universal kit on these cars.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
i'm with nigel on this you will cause more issues than you are trying to fix, will cause issues with bcm etc. better off fixing it,, common are the door catches in the doors also the wiring between the door shuts to body strip them back view the wires for broken ones, run a live probe to door catch see if they work or not chances are its a cheap fix broken wire or some rust somewhere spray door locks inside the doors with wd40 type oil and let soak etc,, also the key with the buttons on it you can buy kit with battery and new buttons new key is around £130 genuine, on ebay there are a number of company's selling a key repair service £25 i have used these many times as soldering them tiny buttons on is for someone with good eye sight lol,,, link below for key repair service,,, chance are its the key got old would deffo do this anyway to start with knowing it works helps find other issues if any

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for that nigelstap and mike1967 I'll give it ago it all works on the toggle button the light is working on the remote but Im guessing that could still be the issue you guys have probably saved me from potentially causing other issues cheers guys

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
the way the system works is key is linked to bcm the bcm stores all codes for security systems,, now i have had someone on here call me out for telling people that bcm must be coded when replaced and they stated that they had just swapped one over and it was fine and worked,, until i asked does your key fob work and the alarm he answered well no it dont hmmm i all already knew it would not hence why i only tell people the correct methods of repair where i can,,, my point to this if your key fob dont work locking could someone have done what this person said and changed the bcm without the programming needed to keep it all working hmmm i rest my case lol.
the way to find out might be a call to mini main dealers parts with all the numbers off bcm see if match the car might save a load of hassle,, ie it will; never work if the bcm is not programmed to the car and keys,,, if not cheapest way around it is a key and ecu kit off ebay for around £100 from breakers..
below kit is how i would deal with it if was a bcm mismatch and is better than the £500 bmw/mini would want for new one plus diagnostics changes

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers mike1967 it indeed could be possible that someone has changed the bcm as I've only recently brought the car and it didn't work then it was presumed that the remote needed a new battery but sadly not the case thanks for the advice I'm going to be trying it and see if we can get it working again thanks again

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
there are many gen 1 cars running around with these bcm's swapped out badly trouble is once the factory ones are thrown away by past owners it impossible to clone them with another one, and main dealer or that lock set is only way out, will add to anyone changing out the lock sets need to match mileages near to your own cars on the replacement kits as the mileage of the breaker one will become the mileage of your car unless have the ewls system cloned to the car as such. even more money lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts