MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have started waxing my MINI.I am using the 3- step process recommended by Zymol:wash and rinse,HD cleanse and waxing and polishing with buffing towels.I am now planning to buy an orbital buffer.My question is- how and when should I use it for the best results,for example should I use it after applying the wax or can I do polishing even after everyday wash and rinse in between waxing sessions? Any tips on the best brand of polisher?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Sounds like you may be a wee bit confused.

The process should be:

Wash
HD Cleanse
Polish
Wax

The HD cleanse removes any contaminates bonded to your clear coat and then a polish will "brighten" up your gloss using various oils etc. Finally a wax will then "seal" in all your hard work and protect your finish. As for frequency - i'd do the polish and cleanse step every 6 months and wax every 1-2months - over the winter i'd advise simply washing and a quick spray with meguiars quick detailer to maintain your wax coating (will work fine with your zymol wax).

Re the orbital polisher - do you mean a cheap one like those sold in Halfrauds or a professional one?

If it's the cheapy then you'll probably be wasting your money as they aren't powerful enough and just smear the polish or wax about and don't buff up very well. As for a professional high speed polsher - these are dangerous if your not experienced with them and you could burn through your finish if not careful.

A much better opion is the porter cable 7424 dual action random orbital polisher available from www.autopia-carcare.com - I invested in the sonus package and the results from it are amazing and it's safe for learners too! :) All-in it cost me about £180 including shipping (arrived in 3 days!) and a UK transformer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks WuL.
The Zymol manual did not speak of polishing and by polishing they mean buffing the wax to shine.

I did not like the look of the cheap Halfords one. Is there any British alternative to the one you have mentioned as I don't want to take the hassle of getting a UK transformer etc?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Techiedoc - there is a UK equivalent - it's a makita if I remember rightly but it costs circa £280!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

The PC is a good investment - I understand the hassle re the transformer etc but it's a worthwhile investment IMHO. :)

·
POP..POPPOP..POP
1,918 Posts
I second what Wul says, bought my PC7424 earlier this year, it's great :D
Join autopia.org, you should get a welcome email with a discount for the store, then order PC7424 + pads and you'll have them in a few days.
If you have any doubts about the PC, read all the comments and reviews on autopia, you'll struggle to find a bad one.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tnoy66 said:
I second what Wul says, bought my PC7424 earlier this year, it's great :D
Join autopia.org, you should get a welcome email with a discount for the store, then order PC7424 + pads and you'll have them in a few days.
If you have any doubts about the PC, read all the comments and reviews on autopia, you'll struggle to find a bad one.
That is presumably an American website.Did you have to pay the VATman and Taxman here once the items arrived? How much did you have to pay including shipping and taxes?Where did you get the 'transformer' from?

·
POP..POPPOP..POP
1,918 Posts
Transformer first

Simplest way is to go here http://www.newmarket-transformers.co.uk/autos.html and order a 1000 watt 230v - 110v boxed transformer. The 500 watt model would probably cope, but those of us who bought from this site choose the higher rated model to make sure it coped. These are fitted with US sockets so the PC will plug straight in. I have some spare plug/sockets for an extension if you would like a set (cost price + postage is £3.75), highly recommended as it saves you carrying the transformer around from one side of car to the other.

The other option (cheaper) is from www.screwfix.com You would need item 16158 transformer, 19947 plug and 16691 extension. Using this set-up, you would cut off the US plug and fit the new yellow plug, I'll dig up the wiring codes if you need them.

The PC and pads

Yes autopia-carcare is US based, but don't let that worry you. On this page http://www.autopia-carcare.com/car-care-kits.html there are 2 kits, both same price. I bought the PC-7424-KIT and extra pads at the same time, 1 extra orange and 3 extra white and grey ones. Spare pads are needed for using different products and also essential if you drop one whilst using it. I would say 2 of each colour as a minimum. The other kit has only been available last few months, I haven't read up on those pads, but they will be of the same quality I would imagine.

I'll pm you about the VAT ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts