MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Dooper Scooper
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Just wondering how many times you can polish (or even deswirl) your car with a rotary/dual action polisher?

Asking because I've got a black roof on mine and I know that it's not particularily thick, even brand new! Haven't used a depth gauge on it yet tho, but the dealers love not looking at my DO NOT CLEAN sign and washing it with a grubby sponge :mad:

·
Registered
165 Posts
It all depends on how 'thick' the paint was to begin with. The more you polish it with a rotary, the more paint you remove so the thinner the paint gets. You could always consider a respray of the roof if it gets too low

·
Registered
241 Posts
Really have to take paint depth readings and find out how much you have to play with. Despite BMW paint being hard, the paint on the roof of Mini's seems to be pretty soft.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I polished my MINI with meguiars #80 and a silverline polisher (rotary). The #80 formula gives a very very light cut. Plus I used a finishing pad which barely has any cutting power. Thus I didnt get rid of any swirls but disguised alot of them because #80 has some oils in it. Then topped with a good wax. Meguiars Tech (1.0) in my case. and I got the following....

Click here to see more...MINI - a set on Flickr

1 - 4 of 4 Posts