MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Mini Cooper S Clubman R55
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title reads my clubman has developed an issue whilst being parked up during lockdown here in UK. Earlier in the week it ran fine but I had noticed a p0087 code a couple of weeks ago but car ran fine and the engine light disappeared. However today it starts and backfires badly on cold start. I'll post a video below. After the first cold start it will start as normal. Pending code is p0087. Shall I just drive the car and see if it goes away? Sometimes it will go into limp mode on the cold start sometimes it won't. Note in the video it clears after maybe 20 seconds and starts the normal higher revs for cold start/cat warm up. Anything else to recommend checking before I start to look at replacing the hpfp. Also has anyone got their hpfp replaced in the UK under the 10 year 120000 mile extended warranty. My car is only on 44k miles and will be 10 years old at end of the year...

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
high pressure fuel pump would say the fuel level has dropped within in it when left standing ,, it might just be the in tank pump faulty in tank pump should have 5.0bar pressure the high pressure pump should have around 4.8mba to 8mba at 3000 revs and a above,, another heads up those engines dont do under 98ron petrol very well.. 44.000 miles is low but have seen a lot lower before,, i send mine off to a guy on ebay he reconditions them , £139 plus postage for n14 cars, link below

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
high pressure fuel pump would say the fuel level has dropped within in it when left standing ,, it might just be the in tank pump faulty in tank pump should have 5.0bar pressure the high pressure pump should have around 4.8mba to 8mba at 3000 revs and a above,, another heads up those engines dont do under 98ron petrol very well.. 44.000 miles is low but have seen a lot lower before,, i send mine off to a guy on ebay he reconditions them , £139 plus postage for n14 cars, link below
Thanks for the reply. How do I isolate the problem to being the tank pump as oppose to the hpfp? If I understand correctly the in tank pump is faulty then this would only affect initial crank? Or if the in tank pump is faulty would fuel pressure be low after the engine start as well? Also car is n18 and I have never run the car on any fuel but 99 Ron (either v power or momentum 99)

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
fuel pressure tester is how i check them two links below a cheap one and one like what i have
contact that guy selling the refurb units he also does the n18 pumps as well he is very helpful and would prob fill in a few more gaps with the issues,, i would doubt it was the low pressure pump with the mileage and more likely high pressure pump, what happens is seals wear and when do they allow air in the pump then the the level of fuel in body is ,low and it takes a few minutes to clear it through the fuel rail and injectors,, this tends to be the beginning of it getting worse, when mine went it would start first time but would not allow to rev would cut out then restart it this would at first be 2 or 3 times before would run right within a week it 20 times to get it running,, mine had done 59k, last owner as i bought car blown up piston damage and timing chain and cat dealt with and turbo replaced then found high pressure pump think last owner just kept driving it until it would no longer drive so it would of been running rich all the time as well added to the melt down,

Reactions: Micren

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

1. fuel pressure tester is how i check them two links below a cheap one and one like what i have
    contact that guy selling the refurb units he also does the n18 pumps as well he is very helpful and would prob fill in a few more gaps with the issues,, i would doubt it was the low pressure pump with the mileage and more likely high pressure pump, what happens is seals wear and when do they allow air in the pump then the the level of fuel in body is ,low and it takes a few minutes to clear it through the fuel rail and injectors,, this tends to be the beginning of it getting worse, when mine went it would start first time but would not allow to rev would cut out then restart it this would at first be 2 or 3 times before would run right within a week it 20 times to get it running,, mine had done 59k, last owner as i bought car blown up piston damage and timing chain and cat dealt with and turbo replaced then found high pressure pump think last owner just kept driving it until it would no longer drive so it would of been running rich all the time as well added to the melt down,
    Finally had it in at the dealers and they confirmed the hpfp is to blame. However they wanted to charge 1500 quid!!! I asked them to contact mini UK and they said they'd pay 400 towards the cost. Seriously outrageous price. Going to be going to mini works I think less than half price there..

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
below link perfect pumps good after service
or and i have one done like this on my car running over 210bhp dont mis a beat done 2k now is refurb service this guy mike is really helpful
dealers are stupid money these pumps are easy to replace hour done easy plug and play

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
putting mine back on rolling road soon going to press it now its run in and behaving

1 - 7 of 7 Posts