MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 MCS convertible and my FM reception on the radio has always been poor. I have change the head unit since I got it but it's made no difference.

The aerial has been replaced with a stubby Alta antenna, could this be an issue?

Does the aerial base contain an amplifier? I have something like that on my Alfa aerial and reception is fine.

If it stops raining for a few hours I may strip out the interior light and try to access the base to see if there's anything I can see. But any pointers greatly received.

Cheers
Minialf

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I had a stubby on my R50 and the reception was pants so swapped it out for an after market oem lookalike aerial and now the fm signal is bang on. One of my best £3.89 eBay purchases of the year lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn that 6p is too rich for my blood

I think I'll pop out to garage and see what 28 or 41 looks like. For the sake of a couple of ££ I might buy one of each!

Thanks again

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
28cm ordered. 41cm looked a bit too long, especially if I have the roof down.

Thanks for pointers SeanC. ��

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Pointers lol

Your welcome buddy. I think the 28cm one will look better and most likely the correct one for the vehicle. I can't see the reception being effected with the shorter one tbh

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New 28cm aerial fitted. Reception is a million times better!!!

The one thing I did find was the steel threaded bit that the aerial screws in to was quite rusty. Maybe this was the reason the the stubby aerial wasn't that good. Replaced this with one from the new aerial

Still £4 well spent. Cheers for the advice Sean

Julian

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Glad it's worked for you Julian. The finish and quality of these aerials are pretty good and you'd never tell them apart from oem ones :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
367 Posts
Always a good idea to put a bit of petroleum jelly (vaseline) on these joints and connections when assembling.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah Sean it looks just right. Glad I didn't go for the 41cm one!

Will put some valentine on the threads. Cheers Zuke

1 - 15 of 15 Posts