MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Mini One. 17K miles on. 17" 205 40 tyres.

200miles of motorway driving at 70-90mph. 20miles of "scooting" about town. 3/4of a tank of petrol used.

Is this bad or is this average!?

Bryce.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You should be getting 40mpg+ (published combined cycle is 41.5). MINI has a 50litre /11 gallon tank, 3/4 of a tank = 8.2 gallons; 8.2 *40 = 328 miles.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Driving at up to 90mph on the motorway will seriously effect your economy.

When I had a ONE I averaged 35-38mpg with mixed motorway/town driving.

Your 17" wheels may make economy slightly worse too, I had 15".

·
hey lightbulb head....
1,305 Posts
driving on the motorway in a one at 90mph will just drink petrol! glug glug glug! in a one the revs are alot higher than a cooper or s at higher speeds so it will probably be pumping alot more petrol in than what the cooper or S needs to go that fast.

so consumption on the motorway in a one is never going to be very good at them speeds!

i easily get 40-45 a gallon round town and that is with a typhoon induction and scorpion exhaust and big wheels etc! and thats even when im booting it quite a bit!

·
Now with S power!
23,915 Posts
notts04chillimini said:
driving on the motorway in a one at 90mph will just drink petrol! glug glug glug! in a one the revs are alot higher than a cooper or s at higher speeds so it will probably be pumping alot more petrol in than what the cooper or S needs to go that fast.

so consumption on the motorway in a one is never going to be very good at them speeds!

i easily get 40-45 a gallon round town and that is with a typhoon induction and scorpion exhaust and big wheels etc! and thats even when im booting it quite a bit!
sure you not got a diesel engine in there?! ;)

·
MUGEN POWER
11,372 Posts
notts04chillimini said:

45!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOT!!!!!!! how?!?! drive down hill all the time with the wind behind u??:confused: :p

seriously the best I have ever got was 37 doing 60 on the motorway!!:eek:

·
hey lightbulb head....
1,305 Posts
generally get around 40 to 45 motorway and town combined, to which im quite suprised aswell, ive been getting a little bit less just lately tho because of a heavy foot, so i can hear the exhaust and induction kit howl.

but all in all quite pleased with the consumtion!! not to heavy on the pocket

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
notts04chillimini said:

Actually the ONE is geared so that it is running at lower revs on the motorway.

Also you might want to re-calculate your fuel consumption as there is no way you can be getting 40-45mpg around town in a MINI unless you have the diesel ;)

·
Peoples Republic Of Cork
1,150 Posts
My previous MINI ONE always did 40mpg overall , now my new MC is looking like 32mpg . Did a club ' economy run ' last Sunday and returned 47.5 mpg in the MC , last year I won the event overall with 62.mpg in my ONE with 'one click ' .
Gerard

·
hey lightbulb head....
1,305 Posts
my friend has a one and hers at motorway speeds is running a thousand revs higher is 5th than what my cooper does!! i said i get 40-45 combined sometimes, but im generally getting around 35 at the moment as im having fun with it!! it depends on how u drive, even if you drive fast, if u drive correctly u wont use as much fuel. keep it in 5th gear anything over 25, the cooper pulls easy enough at low speeds in 5th!!

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
notts04chillimini said:
my friend has a one and hers at motorway speeds is running a thousand revs higher is 5th than what my cooper does!!
I can't see how that is possible unless her clutch is slipping :eek:

The ONE & Cooper have the same gearbox but a different final drive ratio. This was discussed on here a long time ago. I think the ONE was ~2900rpm at 70mph whereas the Cooper was ~3200. This was for the old gearbox (i.e. pre-facelift) but I don't think this would have been changed.

notts04chillimini said:
i said i get 40-45 combined sometimes, but im generally getting around 35 at the moment as im having fun with it!! it depends on how u drive, even if you drive fast, if u drive correctly u wont use as much fuel. keep it in 5th gear anything over 25, the cooper pulls easy enough at low speeds in 5th!!
No, you said
notts04chillimini said:
;) :D

·
hey lightbulb head....
1,305 Posts
i meant to put combined, but never mind anyway!! the overall consumption is generally good, and i dont take much notice of it anyway! i keep it filled up to the top mostly anyway and the cost of running doesent break my bank!

putting out 132bhp with miltek manifold now fitted!

went on the dyno yesterday

·
Registered
155 Posts
i get about 350-370 miles per tank if im lucky doing motorway with a bit of town driving, i dont think the one is that great on fuel economy but thats not why i brought it

·
MUGEN POWER
11,372 Posts
notts04chillimini said:
my friend has a one and hers at motorway speeds is running a thousand revs higher is 5th than what my cooper does!! i said i get 40-45 combined sometimes, but im generally getting around 35 at the moment as im having fun with it!! it depends on how u drive, even if you drive fast, if u drive correctly u wont use as much fuel. keep it in 5th gear anything over 25, the cooper pulls easy enough at low speeds in 5th!!
wish i got 35 when having fun:eek:

last time I had fun I got 16....hmmmmmm lol :D :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts