MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me or has anybody else noticed the very poor grip that the factory fit 16" Goodyear tyres produce in the wet?

I was driving around Wolverhampton on the 27th, the temperature according to the computer was 7 degrees celcius and the roads were damp but not wet. Pulling away from a roundabout the car was struggling for grip, now I`m not blowing my trumpet here but my Cooper is the least powerful car I`ve owned for the last ten or so years and the traction was apalling!

I can only put this down to the tyres. Has anybody swapped the Goodyears for proper performance tyres?

The last Golf I had was a 170bhp V5 fitted with Toyo Proxes T1-S, they were fantastic wet or dry and I`m seriously thinking of keeping my runflats in good nick for resale time and putting some quality rubber on the car, any thoughts?

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Sirobbo said:
last Golf I had was a 170bhp V5 fitted with Toyo Proxes T1-S, they were fantastic wet or dry and I`m seriously thinking of keeping my runflats in good nick for resale time and putting some quality rubber on the car, any thoughts?
Should have got ASC+T;)

Seriously though, you are comparing the Mini to your Golf V5, but didn't it have traction control? My dad drives a Golf GTi 1.8T and it has it as standard, so I would have the V5 would have had traction control as well.

LMB:D

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
I find that they're quite good in the wet and dry, but then, i got traction control...

On a more helpful note, I'd recommend splashing out on eagle F1's and changing them ever 6000 miles ;)

No wait, that wasn't really all that helpful either...

back to bed...

Dom

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I have 16" Goodyear's
I sold my 350 BHP 4 wheel drive Pulsar GTI-R for the MINI
so I know about performace and power to weight ratio's
There's nothing wrong with Goodyear's
I do not have traction control
I do not have a complaint about the grip from these Tyres
I do drive this car hard.
Maybe you should wear trainers instead of big boots
Problem solved,and a lot cheeper than new Tyres.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Golf did have traction control, as did the Golf 1.8T, Corrado VR6 and Golf VR6 that preceeded it. I did not pull away with too much power, but the tyres were piss poor.

I never needed the traction on the VW`s so didn`t bother getting the ACS-T on the Mini. I still don`t think the car was at fault.

Zooom, was not wearing big boots, maybe boots are required in Scotland in your persuit of your next wooly date ;) but in the West Midlands we leave sheep to the dinner table.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
you leave the sheep at the dinner table while you do what excactly?

Just a thought have you checked the tyre pressures?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep,

Tyre pressures correct, perhaps it was just a very greasy road surface, I`ll go and experiment next time it`s wet.

Happy hogmany!!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I take it you are very bored or its not snowing where you are before you went out and checked your tyre already?
check out MINI's in the snow I took that photo today.
I should have done it Friday cos it was realy bad then so I had to slum it in the Shogun.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Are there any problems associated with fitting NON run-flat tyres to the rims ?

Anything in the handbook about that I wonder ?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Does anyone think like I do that the drive by wire throttle pedal makes it more difficult to accelerate away from a standstill rapidly without wheelspin?

It seems really tricky, compared to other cars of similar size/power/weight. It just seems hard to guage how much power you've asked for - i've ended up doing 6000rpm with wheelspin by mistake - never done that before... roads are very greasy though

·
Amiga 500 to PS3 20 Years
4,636 Posts
I wonder if grip problems was why they swapped to 16" Dunlop runflats not that long after launch? I have no probs with my Dunlops.

As for throttle problems it depends what you were driving before.

Throttle in the MINI is sensitive much like the throttle in the old Mini. I find most modern cars have very unresponsive throttles requiring a large degree of movement for even MINImum(!)throttle input.

Also because there is no cable, MINI get's round the problem of having to take up the slack of the cable before there is any throttle input. Try putting the lightest pressure you can on the throttle pedal and you will find it will rev up slightly. Now try this on a cable operated throttle. You'll find nothing happens until the slack is taken up.

If you're used to a different car that might be why you're having a problem. The throttle is perfect for me.

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
Ginge said:
I wonder if grip problems was why they swapped to 16" Dunlop runflats not that long after launch? I have no probs with my Dunlops.
I've got a November build Cooper and I don't have 16" Dunlop runflats - I got the Goodyears. Which I'm more than happy with ;)

Dom

·
4,636 Posts
Mine was late Nov. They must of changed them around this time then. At first I thought they'd fitted non run flat tyres but on closer inspection found they had a big section of writing explaining how you had to have a tyre deflation monitor fitted, don't exceed 50 mph etc etc.

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
perhaps they were changed due to supply problems???

I know there was a big delay for other customers before I got mine (which came a week early!)

Dom

·
4,636 Posts
Hmm dunno. Mine arrived early but I got it late because of the Works conversion.

The question is has anyone with a later Dec build got Dunlops or Good Years?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got my Chilli Cooper on the 28th of Dec and it is fitted with Good Years, I have traction control but it only cuts in when I deliberately provoke it to.
The grip seems very good to me....

·
4,636 Posts
I think this will prompt a new topic. Has anyone else got Dunlops or am I the only one.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Basil said:
Presumably not !!.........:)

Basil,
I've been told that it is not possible to fit non-run flats to the 16in wheels nor for that fact to the 17in wheels either. To be honest I haven't got a clue why, but it doesn't surprise me :rolleyes:

LMB:D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts