MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my cooper SD Hampton 2 weeks and love it!!:D

One problem is the MPG is not close to what I would expect. :confused:

I know it will not come close to official mpg figures as cars never do.

I have done 1000 miles and averaged 43mpg I have driven mainly on A roads and sensibly most of the time.

Any advice or any other SD owner with this issue?

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,153 Posts
43mpg; what figure were you expecting?!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well 50 MPG was what I was expecting as a minimum, my 2009 Cooper S returned 38 MPG so a cooper SD should be doing more than 43!

But hopefully it may improve after I have covered a few thousand miles! :s

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have had my SD for just on 2500 miles now and the average fuel consumption has been 56mpg. The variation (5 fill-ups) has been from 55 to 57.5.

There has been a small improvement over time, ie some small running-in benefit of around 1.5mpg. The car has seen a mix of A road and Motorway driving, but no real city driving. My 15 mile drive to work has only a single set of traffic lights and seldom any traffic, at the time I am on the road

By the way that is real mpg. The OBC is showing 61mpg for the last 1000 miles, about 4 mpg too high.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've done 5000 miles in mine and averaging around 52mpg with a mix of town and dual carrageway driving

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have had mine for about 1500 miles and only getting 43 mpg! hopefully give it a bit longer it will improve but i was definately hoping for 50+ mpg! do have a heavy right foot but thats what happens from owning 2 cooper s's!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep that's why I struggled getting over 50mpg as also had 2 cooper s petrol before took ages to get used to a diesel!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Have you guys tried working out your mpg manually? I have heard that the bmw engine computer mpg reads a few mpg less than they are actually doing. The Peugeot engined ones read above actual mpg. If I drive my 08 Dooper really gently I can average 67mpg over a tank full on the cars display but when working it out manually I am only getting 64mpg.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thats 47.9 mpg, your calculation is off.

Based on £50 at 137.9p which is around 39 litres, it works out at 47mpg.
519 miles for 39 litres is, near as dammit, 60mpg. Not sure why you quote £50.

(519/39)*(4.5) = 59.9.

The car does spend its commuting/taxi life in sleepy Suffolk, driven at times when there are few people on the road (farmers and their tractors excepted) and only a single set of traffic lights. The stop/start system is practically irrelevant.

Where can one buy V Power diesel at 138p per litre?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Countryman Cooper SD All4. My average mpg over 1000 miles was 33.4 ! I have checked the computer against actual consumption and it is pretty accurate.

This car replaced a diesel Octavia Scout and I was hoping to improve on the mpg from the Scout @ 34.5.

At a steady 70 mph on the flat the mini is only showing 40 mpg.

The mpg I am getting is not remotely close to the 57.5 which it is supposed to do. Maybe it will improve with more mileage - currently on 2000 miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
you cant guage an acurrate mpg on the trip computers really and you need to run somewhere in the region of 3000 miles to get a moderately accurate reading, doing it on 1 tank and resetting the trip doesnt help at all

you'll also get better figures the more the engine loosens up dude

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After my remap I am getting 50 MPG+ when having fun and 62 MPG when driving with my eco hat on so it has helped + performance is excellent a must for all cooper SD drivers!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
1400 miles so far, averaging ~53mpg.
On a long run , cruise around 70-75mph, car will average ~56mpg, one up.

The immediate, lag free torque, is very addictive! Great fun. Only gripe is the vibrating interior mirror.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
24 Participants
hubix
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing