MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Mini4
10 Posts
Just to add my result for the record, I'm on 50.8mpg on the computer after 4500 miles. Never reset since new.
But I do a lot of town driving in the weekdays, much better when on long runs...

·
Registered
4 Posts
malcdt

just taken delivery of Cooper SD hatchback. first 1,000 miles and have achieved 47 mpg. Like you, not as expected - almost 30% worse than maufacturer's guide. Still enjoying thecar nonetheless.
I have had my cooper SD Hampton 2 weeks and love it!!:D

One problem is the MPG is not close to what I would expect. :confused:

I know it will not come close to official mpg figures as cars never do.

I have done 1000 miles and averaged 43mpg I have driven mainly on A roads and sensibly most of the time.

Any advice or any other SD owner with this issue?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I was looking at the Which? magazine test of the SD hatch and their mpg figures were:
Urban 53.3 (BMW 55.4)
Extra-urban 68.9 (BMW 72.4)
Motorway 51.4 (not part of official test)
Combined 58.9 (BMW 65.7)

So this suggests that babying the car can get it close to the official results.

Interestingly, they just tested the same engine in the new version of the 1 series and actually got some results that were better than BMW's -and all were better than the Mini's!
Urban 57.6 (BMW 51.4)
Extra-urban 76.3 (BMW 72.4)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Brim the tank record the mileage and brim it again when its low and work it out manually. The pooters can be well out. Our Cooper D always reads about 4mpg over what its doing but I'm not complaining as were still getting an actual of 63mpg.

The later models can read about 4mpg lower than actual mpg.

My other car has been remapped and tells me i'm getting 29mpg but is only doing 23 with the performance map but with the eco map installed it tells me i'm doing an avg of 26mpg but the actual mpg is 36 mainly around town.

·
Registered
81 Posts
8500 miles driven now and total fuel used over those miles gives an average of 57mpg. There has been only a marginal increase from when I first had the car, in the early summer. Driving is 70% A roads and less than 5% in town.

Low 40s is not right.

·
wa5_3mma
9 Posts
Oh no! Ive just bought a Cooper SD, mine is a 61 plate done only 200miles so far and got 47.3mpg hoping ill get more out of it cos at the mo i keep flooring it to feel the torque!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh no! Ive just bought a Cooper SD, mine is a 61 plate done only 200miles so far and got 47.3mpg hoping ill get more out of it cos at the mo i keep flooring it to feel the torque!
I know it is my drving, but im only doing 42.6 with about 13,500 miles in 4 months.

What I have found is the difference between 85 and 75 on the motorway is getting on for 8mpg+

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mini sd MPG

I have done 11,000 in my sd
average is 56.3 going up all the time
Give it time
It will creep up trust me!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just back from a Devon - Birmingham airport roundtrip (via Warwick on the way back) - 460 miles, mainly motorway/dual-carriageway, 30 mins stop/start this morning, and some playing on A46..... Overall mpg on the display is 52mpg (cruise control on at indicated 70mph... +17%:rolleyes:).

The car had 2000 miles on when I left home, so think I can live with that if mine manages the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update: finally got my SD Hatch today! 70 mile round trip - fair old lick up & down dual carriageways, with 14 miles of fun in the twisties... Averaged 50mpg.

Car had 50 miles on the clock so not unhappy with that!:smile:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had my Cooper SD match for 2 months and done 5000 miles in it (commute driving on dual carriageway / local roads).

Came from a Honda Civic Type R EP3 which is a very different driving style so having to adjust a lot!

Am very impressed with the fuel economy once I lost my rev-happy tendancies. Is averaging 56mpg doing a steady 65-70mph. Going above 70mph just kills off any fuel economy that there is to be had it seems (50-53mpg if crusiing speed is above 70mph and I push hard on acceleration).

Best test was an "Apollo 13 type home journey", where I set the cruise control to 58mph and did not use the brakes unless at a junction, and kept revs below 2,000rpm at all times. Only went above 58mph to get past a few lorries safey and without causing a tail back. Got 70.7mpg that journey so good figues are possible if you can bear it!

Am enjoying the change from the Type R's 4,000 rpm cruise at 70mph in 6th gear, which delivered 35mpg at best!

·
Brighton based
4 Posts
After 5500 miles in half in approximately 2:1:1 city traffic, B roads, Motorways I've averaged about 51mpg. On motorway trips is has *nearly* done 60 at 70mph. A/C was on around 25% of the time. My mate and I decided to drive it as economically as possible on an empty road at night, barely touching the accelerator and gaining momentum on downslopes and we managed 74.1... it ain't fun tho!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
24 Participants
hubix
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing