MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just washed my Mini, which is in Red and have noticed that there are a few scratches appearing on it. I work in a garage and have managed to remove them, but has anyone else noticed that the paint seems to be very soft. Is it just Red or are all the colors like it??:cool:

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
I have been treating my Mini with cotton gloves, and I have still managed to get scratchs on my car. Whether it is down to soft paint, maybe, but I think it is inevitable that no matter how well you treat your car it is going to happen.

LMB:)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thanks to the "Greenies," paint isn't as durable now as it used to be. The paint companies were forced to reduce or eliminate a lot of the solvents and propellants that have been used for years. The MINI uses a dipping process with an electrically charged body to attract the pigment, which is then baked on. They claim it takes 10 hours to paint the car. I suspect that's the reason a "clear coat" is often applied to protect the paint. Ford had to recall a lot of cars and trucks a few years ago because the paint bubbled and peeled off.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Drop the sponge.........throw it away !!.

LMB, A brand new BRG Cooper in Brisbane BMW looks scratched to hell. M3 yellow one sitting next to it has as many scratches on it, but you don't notice because the colour is a lot lighter. This is the main reason I won't be getting BRG or Indi Blue. Black is definately out. Qld is SO dry and dusty, you only have to lightly brush your hand over the paintwork to scratch it. Probably Pure Silver would be the best colour in this regard. Clear coat helps, but Silver is such a good colour for disguising marks.

Geez I go on......:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Apparently (please excuse the descent into vague, non-technical language!) red paint uses thinner pigment than any other colour (hopefully someone will be able to jump in here and correct my faulty terminology!), which might explain why the paintwork of some older red cars (take a look at an L/M reg Vauxhall, for example) appears to have faded quite drastically. Hopefully not a problem with any vehicle built to BMW standards (or even MINI standards :D )but it did dissuade me from buying a red MINI, lovely as they are.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't own a mini but i have read the promotional stuff a lot. one thing i remember reading is that the new mini's use a water-based paint for the exterior. Good for the enviroment, bad for sratches it would seem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
paint

I have a black MCS. The the day I bought it was covered with swirls and scratches. I brough it back to have them buff it and it came back with buffer marks. I did it again and it was worse. The guy in the auto body area of the dealership is saying that the cars hood may need to be repainted. Right now, in the day light my hood looks like it is ten years old!

:black: :mad:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: paint

I cannot remove squished flies from the Bonnet (Hood?) Is this a paint defect too? They seem to have gone through the lacquer and marked the black colour. But the Paint work is smooth?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts