MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many of you I have experienced multiple problems with my new mini :( Ranging from the squeaky sports seats, loud steering pump and back windscreen wiper not wiping properly to the pull to the left.

Unfortunately I only had my mini with me for 3 days (200 miles) before it decided that it didn't want to go in my direction on a relatively straight bit of road and the ABS didn't stop me, causing me to end up, up a bank with a ruptered radiator and all sorts of other problems. As well as a seriously burnt (friction) and briused forearm from the airbags (at least they worked! ;) ) I wasn't going very fast at the time max 40-50 mph and had just negoiated a mild corner perfectly.

What I'm wondering is whether the pull to the left which has been mentioned here was strong enough to cause someone (namely me) who wasn't used to driving the car to use emergency measures?? Or whether anyone else has had a similar problem that could have resulted in an accident.

Any input gratefully received.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Were you on ice?

If you hit patchy ice it might be possible to just make enough difference if you were on the limit, to put you into a skid. Having said that you would have been in a certain amount of peril even at 40 mph on ice.

All the MINIs I have driven (that pull left) are not likely to crash you off the road if you were watching where you were going. The steering is extremely quick, and normal car type steering can give a lot more steering force than you might be used too. You do need to make much smaller turning movements to get the same amount of steer. Obviously more forceful steering effort will also make the wheels skid if on ice. The same applies to the brakes. This emergency brake force system is a bit un-nerving on ice. It tends to brake too hard on ice and set the ABS chattering. At the same time uneven braking on ice can upset the whole car and start a yawing motion. I do wish that I could turn the EBD system off when driving on ice, and the ABS off when on snow.

If no ice is involved then if the steering was to blame then it must be far worse than any MINIs I have driven.
Are you sure you didn't have a tyre blow-out? What was the problem with the car before it hit the bank?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Apial, but there wasn't any ice involved although the road was quite slippery as it had rained earlier in the day.

As for the steering I'm quite used to it being light as the car I drove most previous to getting my mini was a VW Bora.

The test mini I drove felt very secure and safe just like the Bora but I have to say that I felt nervous when driving my new mini, it seemed to be very skittish, but I sort of put it down to the fact that it was my new car and I didn't want to hurt it, but now I'm wondering! :)

No tyre blow out or anything happened, my car just sort of lurched to the left. To be honest can't really remember much about it now and just want my car back...:(

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Bagpuss said:
.. the road was quite slippery as it had rained earlier in the day
You could have aquaplaned, I have done this once and the car was all over the shot. Luckily though I managed to regain control.

I am glad you are OK, that is the important thing:)

LMB:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LMB said:

You could have aquaplaned, I have done this once and the car was all over the shot. Luckily though I managed to regain control.

LMB:D
Nope, no aquaplaning either, it had only been a light drizzle earlier in the day so whilst the road was slippery it wasn't wet enough to aquaplane..

Ho hum, I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of it all.. :)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Out of curiousity, did you check the tire pressures? The dealer is supposed to do that during PDI. They generally have about 40psi during shipping as they are lashed down on the carrier, but 30psi is probably closer to normal. Overinflated tires will cause the car to handle badly, especially if the road surface is slippery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mr.bill said:
Out of curiousity, did you check the tire pressures?
No, we didn't think of that. Just assumed that they would be alright and I suppose the indicator would only go if the tyre pressures were low.

If they were high it would explain a lot including why the brakes didn't work as they were meant too.

Thanks very much and we're going to ring the insurers tomorrow and ask if they can get an independant assessor to check them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What about diesel?

It takes just a small spill from a overfilled transit
on a corner for it to become an ice rink when combined with
a little water.

I remember seeing a small spill on an entrance to a roundabout. There was a lady in a fiesta who did not have the slightest idea why her front wheels just span when she
tried to pull away. She got out expecting to see that
her wheels had come off or something :)

Why don't you go back to the accident to assess the state
of the road?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
space_cadet said:
What about diesel?

Why don't you go back to the accident to assess the state
of the road?
Yep, did that as well, it all happend about 2 weeks ago, couldn't post anything sooner 'cause I couldn't register! :)

The road seemed pretty clear of anything like a spillage from a fuel tank though and Mark (boyfriend) and Dad checked the road out thouroughly.

It's probably one of those mysteries we will never get to the bottom of, but the insurers are sending in an independant assessor today and one of the first things they will do is check the tyre pressures which is at the top of the possible cause list at the moment. :D

·
MINI2 Master BLASTER!!!!!
1,532 Posts
Hi, I know how you feel, I crashed my Mini cooper yesterday in similar conditions to you, and I found out 2day that it has been written off, and cos I'm 19 and the other driver was about 45, her insurance ppl are likely to win over who pays, namely me, the police told me this!
I was approaching a aben when suddenly my car decided to go straight on, into a fiat punto!

I feel so bad, feel so useless, feel like someone I love has died! My front right wheel came off! Oh what am I gonna do! I'll never be able to pay insurance on the coop again, thats if my insurers will ever insure me!!

What happened to your insurance? And what about the car?
Please tell me cos I'm so worried!

Thanks Bagpuss

·
MINI2 Master BLASTER!!!!!
1,532 Posts
I only had my Mini Cooper for 5 hours (60miles) :(

Local garages say its a write off. :(

Just now gotta tell the insurance ppl something

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm so sorry must be something to do with Somerset! (I come from Shepton Mallet)

As for my car well I'm still waitng to get it back (3 months later) can't say I'm very impressed. Mini Accident Management have been appalling, no contact and told me I couldn't have a couresty car for longer than 2 days and then 2 months later turned around and said that I had been mis-informed. They then turned round and said that "didn't you receive the letter detailing your reference number etc." I have asked for a copy to be sent and am still wating to get that! Nearly a month later :mad:

When the insurance people sent an assessor out they said there was nothing wrong with the car but if you have experineced the same thing you can't help starting to be suspisous. Give me an email if you wish.. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts