MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed on the UK site that the S weighs in at a hefty 100kg more than a cooper. Surley the supercharger and intercooler are not this heavy.

Or could it be all the extra's that are included on the S!!!

No information on the Aus BMW Mini site about the S, but New Zealand have information on BMW site????

Andy

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
MINICS said:
Just noticed on the UK site that the S weighs in at a hefty 100kg more than a cooper. Surley the supercharger and intercooler are not this heavy.

Or could it be all the extra's that are included on the S!!!

No information on the Aus BMW Mini site about the S, but New Zealand have information on BMW site????

Andy
Must be the chrome filler cap I guess:D

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Well, the bodyshell is slightly different as there's the battery box under the hatch floor. Also, there's the extra exhaust system stuff, the rear spoiler... ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Got thinking about it and itemizing. All these things will add up...

- Blower & plumbing
- 6-speed trans
- Sports Susp Plus (heavier springs, sway bars, shocks)
- Different hood, fascias, sills, spoiler, gas cap
- Extra exhaust plumbing
- Larger wheels/tires
- Sports Seats

...But my weight-calibrated estimation skills and mental calculator still only get these items up to about 150lbs, as opposed to the 200lbs weight difference MINIUSA cites. Perhaps that S-standard (NA on Cooper) traction control module is using 50lb heat sinks? (Or better yet, the "traction control" is actually a quaiffe unit!)

Note also the car's 63/37 weight distribution remains the same for both models, despite most S differences found up front. Perhaps the spoiler and gas cap were added as ballast...?

·
Registered
39 Posts
heaver cooper s

My guess, and that is all that anyone can make at this point, is the Supercharger (very heavy duty parts in the Eaton), the intercooler, thicker sway bars, 6 speed, sports seats, exhaust and don't forget the battery in the back is going to be a higher amp/hour model to sent the power up to the front, along with the extra copper cable, and the larger wheels and tires (don't forget they are run flats with a stiffer side wall)would easily add up to around 150 lbs.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Here's some help, check out the weight difference on the M2.5 Miatas ('01 +) 6 speed. The exact same car, but with a 6 speed, is 150lbs. heavier on the Miata.

Given that possibility, I can EASILY add up those parts to over a couple hundred pounds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts