MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
rasp said:
Any feedback on the positives & negatives on having a lightened flywheel fitted to our mini's could you post here please.....
Positive is the motor will rev quicker. Great for racing!

Negative is you'll have to rev it higher to take off from a start because the motor won't have the weight of the flywheel spinning to help it.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
"Negative is you'll have to rev it higher to take off from a start because the motor won't have the weight of the flywheel spinning to help it."

hmm havent done any change in take offs.. still doing it at 2k.

But then again i went to lighter Weight wheel and tire combo. Which countered the effect of having a lighter flywheel. This is VS stock.

Stock: 28 lbs flywheel with 116 lbs worth of Rims and tyres
MOD: 11 lbs flywheel with 64 lbs worth of Rims and tyres

·
Registered
700 Posts
A flywheel that's significantly lighter than stock will render the car difficult to drive in normal traffic situations, as indicated above.

Maybe you can find info or posts about folks who've installed one, or had their stock flywheel lightened. I've never seen this posted, but I'll bet it's somewhere.

Please let us know what you do, very interesting.

Good luck!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Has anyone got first hand experience of a Fidanza flywheel in a MCS?
Is the chatter at idle a major issue? I've heard that a lightened crank pulley sorts out those harmonic issues anyway...

I am planning to do a full drivetrain upgrade in the new year (clutch/flywheel/quaife).

One last thing, does anyone know if a Quaife diff messes with the working of ASC traction control??

Cheers,

Henry

·
MINI2 Jedi Master
1,237 Posts
I havnt got any experience in a lighter flywheel but do remember reading somewhere on this site that someone regrets doing it because of how loud his car is now at idle. I also remember reading that the MCS doesnt get much advantage out of a lighter flywheel compared to other cars, cant remember why though. I bet that was helpful :rolleyes:

·
Registered
511 Posts
badboyzbadboyz said:
I havnt got any experience in a lighter flywheel but do remember reading somewhere on this site that someone regrets doing it because of how loud his car is now at idle. I also remember reading that the MCS doesnt get much advantage out of a lighter flywheel compared to other cars, cant remember why though. I bet that was helpful :rolleyes:
lol, it was :rolleyes: ;) :D

Any more for any more??

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
I posted this before but now I cannot find it.
I have an aluminum flywheel and a competition clutch on PKT RKT.
The clutch (due to its monster spring rate) is a bit of a pain in traffic, nothing to do with the flywheel.
I have not detected ANY difference in the idling characteristics.
As I did not do back to back comparison with and without, can't speak to an improvement in "speed" due solely to the flywheel.
Hope this helps......

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
Perhaps this will help make up your mind.....if you're gonna fit it yourself.....it is a major pain in the rear end.....AND you will need a pal.....even the factory manual calls for two men......if you're gonna have it done....like NIKE says....Just Do It.....

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
We will have LSD, lightweight aluminium F/W and lightweight aluminium crank pulley on our demo car by end of Jan. Also Aluminium brake discs by end Feb. Roll on track day
season! Will let you all know the results soon. Regards Roland GT Tuning

·
The Mini Family Sponsers
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
roland2003 said:
We will have LSD, lightweight aluminium F/W and lightweight aluminium crank pulley on our demo car by end of Jan. Also Aluminium brake discs by end Feb. Roll on track day
season! Will let you all know the results soon. Regards Roland GT Tuning

Thanks Roland, hope everything go's well, just one point though, someone had posted somewhere that reducing the weight of both flywheel and pulley causes major problems with the crank not to sure what though perhaps you could enlighten us...

·
The Mini Family Sponsers
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
roland2003 said:
Rasp Yes I had seen that too. It maybe an assumpsion rather than an experience.
The only way to know for sure is to test it . I shall grasp the nettle!
Regards Roland GT Tuning
Thats what I like to see , someone getting in there and taking the bull by the horns and all that malarky, I done the same thing when I got the Hartge conversion and you know I have never looked back but there is always room for improvement dont you think?, be interesting to see what you come up with Roland...

Good Luck...

·
Registered
86 Posts
On another car, I went from a 22 lb to an 11 lb flywheel. There were no problems with launching, noise, chatter, or any other driveability issues. It didn’t take any time getting used to it either. The car was noticeable quicker on the launch and quicker to slow when lifting off the throttle. BMW could have used one in the first place but unit cost is always a concern. Get a two piece so it can be resurfaced when needed.

·
Registered
511 Posts
roland2003 said:
Henry Ive decided to put the quaiffe in mine too,as your not allowed to be quicker
round CC than me.! It arrives tomorrow ( plus flywheel ) will fit it xmas day at lunchtime
Regards Roland Gt Tuning.
Doh!

It all depends on the driver though ;) :p :D

Seriously, let me know how you get on and please report how it affects driveability, ASC and if it pulls the car all over the road (!)

Have a great Christmas,

Henry

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.