1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

:O= Please only post if you have this problem

My car suffers with it.

2 trips to the petrol garage in an attempt to fill her up and only reads 3/4 full.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Yes identical problem on Oct MINI ONE. I will report back on loaned demo when I fill it to the brim only if it is faulty too.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I too have this problem on my Cooper.
It is being sorted next week, and the dealer seemed surprised when I said I would need a hire car and the night before not in the morning!! Oh you have to laugh.

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
Mine reads full for a short while and then drops to 3/4 after about 20 miles... is this normal?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine fills up to inbetween full and 3/4\'s just to make life stranger?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Early Sep build - Tank when brimmed reads about 80% full.
Quickly drops to 75% indicated full.

Should I get it booked in?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I filled her up on Friday and got up to 5/6 on the guage. The range on the computer seems pretty good but the fuel gauage and the mpg is a little buggered. Whether I drive around at 4500 in 3rd or 3000 in 5th down a hill, 32mpg+/-1. And yet I am getting 40+ if I work it out from the speedo.

I will give it a further tank full (probably need to fill up Friday) and see how it goes. If the tank, floats and pump need to be replaced, poor old BMW!!!!

On this point, do you think it is possible to get the computer to show other figures, realtime mpg would be nice rather than just a per reset figure.

BTW - Been getting the clunk every now and again. Not every pull off, so I am trying to find out exactly how to make it happen. Might help.

Regards TG

·
MINI2 Oldie
12 Posts
Sender and guage are being replaced next week (Wednesday 24th Oct). I will let you know if this sorts my problem.

I noticed an ealier post mentioned not being offered a replacement car. When I bought the Mini the dealer said that they would not offer curtesy cars, I think this is policy thrugout all UK dealers. But they make up for it by picking it up from outside my office and returing it (or offered to take me onto work from their workshop), so no complaints.

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My fuel gauge now reads full thanks to Lind MINI at Maidstone .

I think they did something to the connections on the fuel tank I know a new tank and sender was\'nt required .

I will find out today exactly what they did to it then post it here and it might solve the problems some of us have been having.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I Have the same problem. The car is going in tommorrow to get it looked at and so we\'ll see what they say.

I spoke to the service manager already who told me that there is no fault, and that people think this is a fault because we don\'t know how to fill a MINI fuel tank up - he reckons there is a special knack to it !!!!

Laugh? I nearly ....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I\'ve had the same problem - has anyone NOT had this problem?

I got the car [Cooper] at the beginning of September and it\'s done 3,500 miles.

The gauge has got better but never perfect; I just reckon on doing about 300 miles per tank or 70 miles from when the little light comes on.

Squeezing in the last couple of litres after the pump first cuts out seems to help a bit as well.

Do the replacements offered by dealers really work?

cheers
JT

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is a problem with the fuel sender units but it won\'t go out as a recall as it is a inconvience rather than a safety issue. I have the same problem as well. The reason why some service managers may say there is a knack to filling it up is because on some BMWs you have to put the nozzle at a 45 degree angle to get it to fill up properly, just one of those little things. And where I work (Victoria MK) you are entitled to a courtesy car the same as any BMW driver as long as you book far enough ahead.

·
Astronaut
572 Posts
I am still keeping an eye on it, as I can never fill up: 42 litres from when the red light comes on (42+8=50)

However I have the feeling that I everytime I can get a bit more than before...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes my fuel gauge is wildly inaccurate too !!
I have mentioned it to my dealer - they suggested changing the sender unit - I\'ll wait for the first service.

He said it might go away after several fills !!

Chris B)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi!

I have just found this site and it is reassuring to see that other people are having the fuel-level problem as well as me. Our never gets about 5/6 on the gauge and quickly drops to about 1/2 after a few miles - sounds like the best advice is to try to get the sender unit replaced!

Thanks for all your comments,

Neil

·
Registered
81 Posts
GOT MY MINI1 FIXED AT CASTLE BMW IN YORK NO PROBLEM NOW FILLS UP OK ALSO HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE IMMOBILISER THEY SORTED THAT ASWELL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

My Cooper also has the same problem, even after 2000 miles. Only reads 5/6 full and also red light comes on very early. I reckon I have 15 litres left when the light comes on, the manual says it should be only 8.

My dealer is lending me a car (Had to book well in advance)

Minimus.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

My Cooper also has the same problem, even after 2000 miles. Only reads 5/6 full and also red light comes on very early. I reckon I have 15 litres left when the light comes on, the manual says it should be only 8.

My dealer is lending me a car (Had to book well in advance)

Minimus.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts