MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
GP0714
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people, i know the mini GP is Smiles per miles, but when im not out racing it all about and "posing":cool: id like to try and get the best fuel consumption out of it (especially with the current 119.9 optimax petrol price per litre)

So please can you post your ideas/suggestions:

e.g - Dont use full tank of petrol as this increases weight

also - I have 18" GP wheels (as standard) and Dunlop runflat tyres What (Bar/PSI) am i supposed to inflate them to for optimum fuel performance....

Thanks

Ric

I look forward to all of your comments - as im sure all of you are...

:confused:

·
GP 56 MCK 0774
1,074 Posts
Tyres should be at 35 lbs Keep an eye on this as they soon go bald under low pressure :eek:

The right foot is what gives you best mpg use it gently and you will get decent results :(

Plant it to the floor and watch your grin grow (*** the petrol) :D:D:D:D

·
GP0714
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keep your tyres correctly inflated. Efficiency Improvement: Up to 3%
Declutter your car. Efficiency Improvement: Up to 2%
Turn off the air con. Efficiency Improvement: Up to 8%
Don't fill it up. Efficiency Improvement: Up to 1%

Accelerate gradually without over-revving.
Drive in the correct gear.
Slow naturally. - (as long as you dont actually need to brake!!!)
Think about road position. - (Look ahead!!)

other tips:-

Always fill up at least fifty miles before your tank's dry
Only use ‘better fuel’ if your car can cope
Fill up at night, but don’t overfill.
Don't try and put more in after the clunk.

or

Pay with a cashback/fuel credit card.
Grab supermarket petrol promotions.

hope the above helps :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Can you expand on....

How does the above help ?

Perm

·
Registered
940 Posts
Buy a classic as a 2nd car and use that for the work commute - keep the GP for fun ;)

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
Don't use full tank of petrol as this increases weight
Always fill up at least fifty miles before your tank's dry
:hmph: So... what precisely is an acceptable amount of fuel to have in the tank then? :rolleyes: :p

Someone should also point out that you might negate any savings on carrying less fuel on board if the trip to your preferred fuel retailer (e.g. a supermarket) isn't along your usual commute to/from work. ;)
Can you expand on....

How does the above help ?

Perm
Filling up at night:

Presumably, filling up at night is in relation to the density of fuel. The temperature outside will usually be lower at night, and the lower the temperature is the more dense the fuel will be. Therefore, you get more energy delivered into your tank per litre than you do if you were to fill up, say, mid afternoon on the hottest day of the year. Surely the difference will be negligible?

Ceasing fuel delivery after automatic shut-off:

With the clunk, when pumping in more fuel, it keeps clunking off and each time it clunks, the fuel is cut off marginally faster than the counter stops turning. :rolleyes: Oil companies, eh? In reality, this makes next to no difference to the average motorist - maybe overcharging him by a penny a fill-up... but it adds up over all the motorists over all the fill-ups over the whole year for the petrol retailer. ;) Or rather, it adds up for the Treasury if you live in the UK. :bad:

Also, the closer you get to brimming, the chances are more likely that some of your fuel will evaporate out into the air, or that you'll spill some over the side of the nozzle. :)
These would probably make very minimal savings, but I guess if you're looking for every possible opportunity to save on petrol, then they might add up. :D

All the best,
Andrew.​

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
:eek: Oooh, some stuff's coming back to me now... :D

Things I have done which have improved miles per gallon for my ONE:
  • Change gearbox oil +2 mpg (23rd February)
  • Free-flowing exhaust: e.g. Milltek cat-back +1 mpg (9th May)
  • Inspection II service with full oil change and spark-plug change +3 mpg (31st May)
TOTAL IMPROVEMENT: +6 mpg over early 2008 averages. :cool:
All the best,
Andrew.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Best way to keep fuel economy is less weight in you car don't open windows as it causes drag and using air conditioning effects fuel economy. I am a GP owner not that interested in fuel economy but since I bought the car have averaged 25 to 28 MPH which I am quiet happy about.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts