MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting Track Times???

Was just hoping people would like to post there track times for Various Tracks in Australia?

Just interested to know what people are doing time wise? :D :eb:

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
CanberraCooperS said:
These are my best times so far

Wakefield 1.11.21
Eastern Creek 1.53.49
Winton 1.37.51
Thats a blistering time at Wakefield mate! :D :D :D wow

·
MINIstry of Fun
1,561 Posts
CanberraCooperS said:
These are my best times so far

Wakefield 1.11.21
Eastern Creek 1.53.49
Winton 1.37.51
Nice time for Winton, too. I only managed on my first outing a careful 1:53 :(

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
CanberraCooperS said:
Very scary time ran out of Brakes far to quickly.. time for some bigger brakes.
:eek:

Actually, theyre all very quick! What sort of mods do you have CCS? :D

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Engine ( standard still) Boost (standard Still although i have the underdrive pulley waiting to be fitted) Eibach 35mm lowered springs, Whiteline sway bar, whiteline front and rear strut braces, EBC Rotors front and rear, EBC red pads front, EBC green rear, Hi-Tech Cat back exhaust, Custom headers, Custom Air intake with K+N air Filter, HT3 17x7 Dark Silver wheels with KU15 R spec Kumho tyres, Takami race seats, Dominion Harneses, Removable Cat converter( for racing only).

Hope to get the pulley and AMD chip upgrade soon.. but will need to get some bigger brakes.. a set of EBC greens only last a day at the track and the reds only last a bit more.

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Hi Canberra Cooper S,

I'd like to see you put up a dorian / natsoft timed meet and put those times on the line :D

Please post the links to the club meets where you posted those times :D It would be interesting to see the times other cars did on the day

When / what meet were you at Eastern Creek? What was the date and what were the timing details?

What date were you at Winton? What was the club meet? I've been down to Winton once, and it is a tricky track, but suits the mini :D I'd love to get there again :D

Those times are simply phenomenal. I'd love to see in the flesh what you do to get those times ;)

After all, professional race drivers have punted my mini around EC, and they didn't get anywhere near your time.

Do you have any other suspension mods apart from the Eibach's eg camber adjustment? If so, what settings are you using? Do you have an LSD? What tyre pressures are you running?

As for brakes, try using the Galfer pads before upgrading to a big brake kit. In all honesty, EBC are crap, IMHO. Galfer have a higher co-efficient of friction giving more bite and stopping power, have more feel and last longer. They are more expensive, but under extreme fast track usage will last 3-4 days. They can be sourced from Greg Moon at Race Brakes in Sydney.

Robbo

PS : if those times are legit, you should be racing professionally ;) You are wasting your time doing club days etc. The times you are doing are way better than any instructor / race driver has achieved in my car, and better than any other mini time I have seen by a race driver in other minis (eg James Dutton in JCW car)

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Robo, I was using an ORBITS software and AMBIT Track Transponder to do the timing at wakefield, so yes its accurate to a hundredth of a second. Of course this was not officiated by the track as it was personal equipment borrowed from a friend. I do have a VCD of me racing at Wakefield 5th June if you are interested in seeing how the car goes against much more powerfull cars. Including a GTP EVOVII RS. I can burn a copy and send it to you if your interested. I will say this right now that the average for the day was 1.13/14 as the 11s/12s where only possible when it was cold and there was little or no traffic. PS thats Wakefield only. The times from Winton and Eastern Creek are probably not so accurate as the timming was done by a mate with a stop watch.

Ive come from a Rallying background Robo so i have raced before.

All the track days at Easter Creek, Wakefield and Winton have been open track days, so no official timming was provided.

The car has some minor camber/castor changes to the front and the rear is pretty much just as it is when you lower it. I find that by being able to drift the car through corners im carrying alot more speed. Maybee thats just my rallying comming through.
When the car was standard i went to the May 2003 J-Racing/Fast&Furious track day at Wakefield and did a 1.15.17 on the standard runflat Pirellis ( won a trophy and all.)

I would like to get to a meet with other Mini Drivers at a track day to see how i go against them.
Im not a fan of eastern creek as it scares the daylights out of me at the end of the straight. I am hoping to enter a Tarmac Rally early next year, but get the feeling that the limited suspension travel on the mini will be very dangerous over bumpy surfaces.

If you want to suggest any Track days that i might be available on then i would be interested.

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh yeah one last comment.... I think the reason my car spends so much time in the workshop is my rough driving style :bad: hehehhe :D :D :D :D

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
CanberraCooperS said:
Oh yeah one last comment.... I think the reason my car spends so much time in the workshop is my rough driving style :bad: hehehhe :D :D :D :D
Hi,

I must have a rough driving style as well, as mine seems to spend more time in the workshop than my garage :eek:

Sorry for being a bit negative regarding your times previously, and I humbly apologise :eek: Your times seem to stack up with your knowledge and experience ;) Unfortunately, it makes me a little depressed :( However, the reason I was a little doubting was that in my past experience there are allways people bragging that they do certain times, and on the day they allways go slower, and even worse, block you on the track, dont let you past, and stop you from getting a good time :mad:

Congratulations on your times. They are simply sensational :eek:

I agree that drifting the car through the corner is essential to getting a good time in the mini, it lets you maintain a lot of speed, and is also fun ;)

I mainly do track days with BMW club (supersprints), burrows drive days, plus a few motoconcept days. I also do open track days at Wakefield and Eastern Creek. The BMW days are excellent, with lots of fast cars, and very well organised. Normally we go frequently went to wakefield (we were there 2 weeks ago and were "snowed out" ;) ). However, the meets for the rest of the year are Eastern Creek and Oran Park GP.

Unfortunately my car will be out of action for around 4-6 weeks, as I have to get some rear damage fixed at the smash repairers, and then it goes in to get a roll cage fitted, getting prepared for the East Coast Rally :D

Cheers

Robbo

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dont want to start an argument but 1.37 at winton is out of this world i attended a benalla autoclub sprint in early july and ran a 1.43 and won my class easily, plus ive got a jcw kit a 1.37 would have won the day outright i dont believe there is six seconds to be made up, people were coming up to me and asking how i was getting around so quick as it was.

Btw went to sandown on last weekend did 1.30.9 was 5 sec off pace from fastest car there which, incedently, was a 550hp skyline gtr with $11000 of harrop race brakes

Phillip island 2.00.3

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
coops41 said:
Dont want to start an argument but 1.37 at winton is out of this world i attended a benalla autoclub sprint in early july and ran a 1.43 and won my class easily, plus ive got a jcw kit a 1.37 would have won the day outright i dont believe there is six seconds to be made up, people were coming up to me and asking how i was getting around so quick as it was.

Btw went to sandown on last weekend did 1.30.9 was 5 sec off pace from fastest car there which, incedently, was a 550hp skyline gtr with $11000 of harrop race brakes

Phillip island 2.00.3
Hi,

The Winton time does seem beyond belief :eek: The last time the NSW BMW club went to Winton guys like Peter Kelly (fully stripped 1100kg M3 racecar), Ben Seehusen (ditto), Martin Higgins (stripped lightweight M3 with turbo) and Dave Nolan (orginal Winfield nissan GTR racecar) were doing 1.34-35's. These guys are running fully prepared racecars putting out 600+hp , on slicks. They are no mug drivers eg Martin Higgins got 12th outright in Targa Tassie this year in his lancer evo 6, 3rd in the east coast classic last year.

By comparison, these guys do 1.04-5's at Wakefield and 1.43-45's at Eastern Creek,

That makes it hard to see how someone could do 1:37 in mini with stock engine :confused:

Hopefully Canberra Cooper S can give us an explanation.

I do believe that 1:11's and 1:53's at Wakefield and Eastern Creek are achievable, but it would take somei incredibly ballsy, committed and skilled driving , in an well prepared car ;) It gives me something to aim for :cool:

Robbo

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
Hmmm interesting.... I watch Wakefield with great interest... This is where the Cobra antionals are held each year on the labour day weekend (For everywhere but vic:() I have seen a cobra go around in sub 1min 10... that was blisteringly fast!!

Im driving my dads cobra this year there... I cant wait!! The track is very spectator-friendly, which should make for an interesting experience!! As long as I beat dad I'll be as happy as a pig in a clean pen!! (mallie knows what I'm taking about:D)

Todd

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
About this Discussion
64 Replies
19 Participants
HarryV
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing