MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My company car is due to be replaced. We have changed leasing companies, so we have a few different makes and models on the list.

One of which is the Mini Cooper S.

I currently drive a Civic Type R and have loved every mile I have driven in it. However with over 215 CO Emissions I dont want another one! They constitute 30% tax which I am sick of paying, and also I am returning around 20-25mpg. So not so good!

Anyway, I like the look of the Mini Cooper S, and I am very surprised at the package.

Almost as quick as a Type R,
Handles as good.
Does upto 45mpg instead of my 25mpg
Tax is a 3rd of what I am paying now

Other cars I am looking at are the 118d SE, Golf GT-Sport, etc. All pretty boring in comparison.

Now what I need to know is will it be suitable for someone doing around 20k a year? Are they comfy enough for long journeys? What is the real world MPG like on a R56? Is the Turbo tuneable easily>?

Also, I would like to know which essential extra's I need? I dont want to spend much on extra's if I can help it but would like:-

17" Flame Spoke Alloys
Leather Sport Steering Wheel
Privacy glass at rear.
White with black stripes.

I would then like to install the Eibach Pro Kit springs [I used to have them on my VX220], and maybe remap it.

:redface:

·
Uranus is composed of gas
3,507 Posts
Super cute signature! :)

I know all the boys in here will disagree with me, but when I put 16s on my first S to replace the original 17s, the ride became MUCH more comfortable...especially on long drives.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers. [BTW - Why can't I see my signature?]

So stick with the stock 16"?

What other extra's do you think I should purchase as a necessity?

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
In all seriousness, the best two Cooper S I've ever driven had pretty much NO extras.

BUT, if you like music, of any kind, I suggest either the hi-fi upgrade or an aftermarket solution, the standard stereo is pretty dire. The multi-function steering wheel, which includes cruise control, is a really nice feature that you don't miss if you haven't had it, but find hard to live without once you have.

Most other options are a matter of taste. Half leather doesn't give you much leather, so it's almost worth staying with cloth, or going full leather, if you go full leather, I think heated seats are a must.

Aircon has fiddly controls, so auto aircon is very nice if you like your driving comfortable and unfussy. The Sat nav looks great and works well, but for mapping a lot of people rate other choices such as Garmin higher.

MOST people however just expect a Cooper S to have the Chilli pack at resale, but that doesn't mean you HAVE to have it, but once you tick a few options boxes it can work out better value anyway.

I would always opt for the sports suspension upgrade on the S, it's firmer than the standard, but I still found it comfortable and compliant even on country roads, but if you're thinking of going aftermarket on the suspension, who knows.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good reply!

I already have sat nav TomTom, I have a nice Alpine Stereo system in my CTR that I will have to take out at lease end.

If I install an aftermarket stereo in the R56 will it mess up the display on the Speedometer ?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hi, Go for the MINI. It is so much fun, and returns excellent fuel economy! And perfect for driving many miles all day long!
Once you own a MINI from say the R53 supercharger up to the new Turbo you will rejoice very minute of these cars!

it`s almost exciting to know you are driving to or from work..just so much fun. It litterally becomes your friend.

The handelling is much much better than the Honda! With a couple of hundred pound tweeks it eats the Civic in every aspect!
Better looking, and bullet proof reliability. Including better fuel economy from the start.
The engine is much better than that of the harsh revvy Honda...if you like the screaming noise all day, ok the Honda is ok.

If only your company would offer you a classic REAL sports car then the BMW Z3M Coupe is simply (in my opinion) the car to have, individual and truely stuning to look at with 321Bhp and the sound a Ferrari owner would be proud of.
Get the MINI you will love it!!

Reactions: christurbo

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The CTR is a great day to dayer, I normally have weekend cars for my real trackday thrills [Lotus Elise, VX220, Clio Cup Racer]. So I need something sporty, economical, live-able day to day, but also looks a bit different.

The thinking man points me to the Golf GT Sport 170 DSG - but GOD they look boring. I owned a Golf GTi before the Type R and found it drab.

I suppose I should post my questions in the relevant sections, but my main question is is the new R56 Turbo remapable? I cannot find much on the subject - I searched Google and Celtic Tuning say they can get 215bhp from a remap?

·
Registered
316 Posts
The Golf GT is more of a grand tourer..thus > GT. It is not meant to set the tyres on fire. And as for looks I quiet like it. It looks solid compared to the japanese rivals, and is in fact built a lot better.
it also combines a sporty ride and has spot on fuel economy!

The new golf is looking really nice! And is going to head right up to the leader table already honoured by recent Auto-Express article.

What about the New Scirocco...now that has it all. Top flight handeling,looks,performance!! MOVE over Focus!!

The new MINI Turbo has lots of potential for tuning! There are more an more tuning company`s working on this all new model.
The likes of Lohen AC Schitzer...to name a few. The maping on this model has already claimed over 220BHP on it own. I read an article recently that the Turbo model will trump the recent Supercharger in performance gains.

I checked German tuning websites and they are already working on 380BHP packages!!
Wow a 1,6 MINI will be laughing at scooby and mitsi, honda owners! Bring it on MINI!!

Reactions: christurbo

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Golf GT is more of a grand tourer..thus > GT. It is not meant to set the tyres on fire. And as for looks I quiet like it. It looks solid compared to the japanese rivals, and is in fact built a lot better.
it also combines a sporty ride and has spot on fuel economy!

The new golf is looking really nice! And is going to head right up to the leader table already honoured by recent Auto-Express article.

What about the New Scirocco...now that has it all. Top flight handeling,looks,performance!! MOVE over Focus!!

The new MINI Turbo has lots of potential for tuning! There are more an more tuning company`s working on this all new model.
The likes of Lohen AC Schitzer...to name a few. The maping on this model has already claimed over 220BHP on it own. I read an article recently that the Turbo model will trump the recent Supercharger in performance gains.

I checked German tuning websites and they are already working on 380BHP packages!!
Wow a 1,6 MINI will be laughing at scooby and mitsi, honda owners! Bring it on MINI!!
I may have the option of getting a MK6 Golf - however in true VW fashion they will not be spec'd the same as the current GT-Sport so I will get less then current spec.

I have been to Lohan many times, they use the same garage as Yozzasport where I had my Clio truly looked after for track days and some pretty big work. Thier flagship mini is very nice. I have a pic of a Mini being tracked out, and their flagship turbo/supercharged engine.

Just found the group buy thread about remaps - from PTorque not bad - 205bhp from stock.

Have you got any links about the Lohan maps? There is nothing on their website!

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hi Chris Lohen are still working on the new MINI. There are no initial facts just now. I go on a lot of German websites..it helps if you speak the lingo :) There are some evolving MINI projects!

I love the look of the new MK6 Golf. It is supposed to be a blast to drive, and they are looking at bringing out an R36 now that is something to look forward too..megga performance.
VW are really starting to update upgrade their fleet to class leading fourcasts!

Dont you fancy the new scirocco? I love the looks of that car! It apparently out-performs the recent GTI on which it is based on. Sharper chasis, wider rear track, it just looks and handles sweet.

I personally prefer the R53 S MINI shape to the updated ones, not bacause I own one and love to bitz, just I think the shape has diluted a bit. But hey it still looks a million $ compared to these space-shippy looking things like the Fords and Hondas Peugeots etc..

People often criticise German cars for being boxy (euro-boxes) But I and millions disagree! these cars have more soul and craftsmanship than anything elese!

You know my ideal drive/garage would have an; MINI Cooper Works, BMW E46 M3, BMW Z3M Coupe...Porsche Carrera GT< The ultimate performance car ever! Oh and maybe just a couple of converted MK1 Golf Gti`s lol

Ps, another great choice is the BMW 1 Coupe..beautiful looking small car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My dream garage would also incluse a BMW E46M3CSL! along with a Porsche GT3RS.

The 1 series is on there but only in hatchback guise and no MSport varients, just SE/ES [well there is one M Sport but its a 1.6l! and £20,500!]

Is the boot space really bad? I only need room for a laptop and tool bag.

Here is the Lohan Mini when I was there with my track car:-

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
What interesting reading all this is. Civic Type-R em, but admit thought these cars we really boring until a mate of mine took me out in one he's thinking of buying. The seats are great, comfortable yet really really supportive! I'm a big guy so didn't even think I'd even fit in it. Space was good front and back but then who needs space ? If you do, don't go for a MINI. It's purely a two seater. I think the CTR still looks like a squished MPV huge raked windscreen, front end looks awkward. However, as a drivers car, I'm very impressed! Doesn't sound sporty, coarse when the engine was revved hard, but it's certainly very quick!

I loved the MINI I chose as soon as I spotted it parked up on the forecourt, blown away by it's style the amount of looks she gets going down busy streets, and the whole MINI package. The allure is so intoxicating!

All the best, and look forward to reading more.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I take it there is a space for it and the wiring can be swapped over OK? Nightmare.
It's not an easy job at all, if you wanted to attempt it, you'd be better speaking to Mikey @ Newministuff.

You'd possibly be better going down the same route as alot of ppl on here have done, Mikey does a stereo upgrade package for the standard stereo.

It's alot better than the upgrade Mini offer, and the people who have had it done seem really pleased with the results.

NewMINIStuff.com

·
Life after MINI
424 Posts
The thinking man points me to the Golf GT Sport 170 DSG - but GOD they look boring. I owned a Golf GTi before the Type R and found it drab.
Which is why I have one :biggrin: As for boring looking ... that very much depends on the choice of colour in my opinion. Mine looks stunning and imposing in metallic black with the black headlight surrounds.

I've had a lot of cars in the past - including R56 Cooper, R53 JCW GP, and some fast BMW's (E36 328i Coupe, E39 M5). Ever since the M5, I realised that what I enjoyed most was in gear performance and the massive shove in the back that only serious torque can provide.

The 170 BHP Golf TDi is actually more like 185 BHP in all dyno tests run, and can be Bluefin tuned to 200 BHP and over 420 NM of torque (it has 350 NM of torque as standard). I test drove mine back to back with a GTi, and I found the TDi to be the better drive once it was rolling.

In gear performance is stunning even without tuning - and it manages over 40 mpg while it's doing it - and into the 50's on the motorway. And it has proper back seats, and a boot you can use, doesn't invoke envy/scratches in car parks, can cruise all day long at UK motorway speeds with the engine at a bit over 2,000 rpm (i.e. relaxing to drive), has NCAP 5 star rating, a good stereo system, and so forth. Don't expect miracles on the 0-62 time, but 30-70 times are pretty impressive - put it this way, there is no way an R56 MCS would be able to overtake me on a twisty back road, and I'm pretty sure I'd have no trouble keeping up with one if it started off in front of me.

It gets my vote - especially in the current gloom and doom.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well thank you very much for the above post.

I have just looked properly at the specs and I cannot believe how much car you get std!!! Leather, Sports seats, Aircon, Sports kit, all std....

I have also read that after chipping it to over 200bhp you will get at least 5mpg more too.

I also think you are right - it looks lovely in black.... I also like the golf GTI red surround that can be installed on it easily.

Cheers!:)

·
Life after MINI
424 Posts
Well thank you very much for the above post.

I have just looked properly at the specs and I cannot believe how much car you get std!!! Leather, Sports seats, Aircon, Sports kit, all std....

I have also read that after chipping it to over 200bhp you will get at least 5mpg more too.

I also think you are right - it looks lovely in black.... I also like the golf GTI red surround that can be installed on it easily.

Cheers!:)
Good luck with your decision. I am really fussy with cars and get bored quickly, but I have to say I am very pleased with my VW and no signs of boredom yet - it's a cracking car and I always look forward to driving it :biggrin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts