MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Been reading around the forums and finally signed up today.

My company has given me the opportunity to have a "green" company car on a fairly generous budget so I was pretty shocked to find some fun cars on the list that were eligible. Currently the Dooper is running favourite as it looks like it will provide the same driving thrills as my current Panda 100hp but using half the fuel and I can add lots of options and still stay within the budget. Unfortunately, because every demo car seems to be configured differently, I've not been able to try out all the options I'd like so I was looking for opinions from the collective about must haves!

The current spec I'm looking at is:

Dooper (Chilli):

* 322 Comfort Access System
* 522 Bi-Xenon Headlights
* 359 Heated Windscreen
* 428 Warning Triangle + First Aid Kit
* 313 Folding Exterior Mirrors
* 430 Auto Dim Exterior/Interior Mirrors
* 494 Heated Front Seats
* 6NE Bluetooth Telephone Prep With USB Ad
* 320 Model Badge Deletion
* 300 Emergency Space Saver Spare Wheel
* 258 Run Flat Tyres
* 521 Rain Sensors + Auto Headlights-On

Unfortunately, the lease company won't let me select tinted rear glass and rain sensor so rain sensing wipers has won out. Reading around this forum I see that runflat tyres aren't well received so I'm thinking about dropping these. The remaining options I'm in two minds over are the sports suspension (my current car is a Panda 100hp so I'm no stranger to a firm ride but ultimately what I'd like is a comfortable car that handles well ... moon on a stick? ), adaptive headlights (gimmick or genuinely useful?), sports button (another gimmick?), Vision pack (not been able to find out what this includes but it looks like adaptive headlights and xenons?), and smoker's pack (again not sure what this includes - I believe the 12v socket is standard so I'll only be gaining a cigarette lighter I'll never use). I'm also confused that I can't order the car jack and space saver wheel - presumably this is a space/storage problem rather than them just trying to make changing a wheel difficult?

Thanks for all opinions

Chris

·
Registered
640 Posts
I found that a lot of options were better value if spec'd as part of a pack - for example back in Nov 2009 the heated screen and rain sensors were part of, I think, the Safety Pack. You ended up with the bits you wanted but it was either cheaper or there was something else in there that made it good value. I wouldn't bother with the electric mirrors - they didn't fold when locking the car - you had to manually select it - very poor. Maybe things have changed in a year though. Dealer gave me (or I might have downloaded) a .pdf which listed all the various options and what came with what pack. It was very useful and made it easy to make sure I ordered and got everything I wanted.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Yeah the number of packs available (and finding information about what they contain) is interesting so I'll be asking the dealer about this so I can make the money go the furthest. Interesting (and disappointing!) comment about the folding mirrors - have a demo drive booked this morning so I can see if they've changed in recent models. I'm suspecting not :rolleyes:

Chris

·
Registered
640 Posts
It put me off shelling out for the mirrors - I couldn't see the point. I'll see if I can dig out my options list - might at least see what it is called in BMW-speak. Stuff will have changed in those 12 months for example I got my DAB as part of the media pack - I wouldn't spend 300 quid on it - not worth it in practice. Saying that, I spent a fortune on the Nav / Media pack itself!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would drop the run flat tyres - they are truly awful. My 2008 Cooper D that i have just px for my new 2011 Cooper D had them on and they give an awful ride. Even worse in two years of driving I had 5 punctures all in the rear tyres with nails/screws - never had as many punctures. If you drive on a runflat tyre for any distance you cannot repair but have to replace and they are much more expensive than non runflats.
My new 2011 Cooper D has non runflats and the ride is so much better - road noise is much quiter too. I ordered the space saver wheel which I also had on my previous Cooper D but never used.
I would also think twice about comfort access.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for the further replies. Back from driving the demo car and all I can say is wow - very impressive and competent car that certainly punches above its weight on the road! :biggrin: I was also skeptical about the start/stop technology, but it works really well.

The car I drove had a JCW body kit I think which looked very smart, but doesn't appear to be in the options list - unless it's the same as the "aerodynamic package" although the top grilles look different. Car was also on 17" wheels with runflat tyres and the ride seemed fine, although I think the point above about the cost of runflats and also some of the horror stories about runflat behaviour when the weather gets colder means it's an option I'm going to drop. The 17" alloys looked perfect though so I might have to add them to my list :redface:

The demo also had the panoramic sunroof which was very smart and I think will probably be added to the list if I can afford it.

Very interesting point on the comfort access system - any specific reasons to drop it? The demo car had it and I was surprised how big the fob was compared to equivalent credit-card style keyless systems from the likes of Renault which could happily stay in a pocket/wallet. Ultimately, I'm used to keys so dropping it won't be a major loss and will give me back £380 to play with :laughat:

The car didn't obviously have the electric folding mirrors, but again, it's not something I'm used to so I won't miss it ;)

Thanks again for all the replies.

Chris

·
Registered
640 Posts
Took me a while to get used to the stop/start - I found myself dipping the clutch when it started to stop which caused it to re-start. It's second nature now - not convinced it save much though, probably more about pollution when stuck in traffic queues. I'd need to be reminded of exactly what you got for your money with the comfort access.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The sport button isn't just a gimmick: it really does change the response of the car. It's no quicker but steering is firmer and throttle response more direct. I'm really glad I've got in on mine, and it doesn't cost much anyway. Also if you like listening to music while you drive you should consider the Hi-Fi upgrade. The standard system is pretty poor. I've got the Hi-Fi speaker upgrade on mine (2009 Dooper) which is pretty good but I understand the new Harmon Kardon system is much better.

Those two options will really increase your driving pleasure, much more than comfort access, folding/dimming mirrors or heated seats. And as you're coming from a Panda 100hp you probably really like driving: I hear they're really good!

That's my tuppence worth.... you'll have fun in a Dooper whatever you choose!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quoting TIMP above "spec'd as part of a pack - for example back in Nov 2009 the heated screen and rain sensors were part of, I think, the Safety Pack."

A minor correction just for info:

The heated windscreen, rain sensing wipers and automatic driving lights were part of the 'visibility pack', which also included the darkened heat reflective rear side windows.

Go for the heated screen, once you've had it you can't do without it !

My recommendation :

I don't know how anyone could do without the multifunction steering wheel, great for bluetooth phone ,Hi-Fi & I Pod control

·
Registered
640 Posts
Heated screen is great, and yes it was called the Visibility pack - I remember now. However, back then it didn't include the 'pimp my ride' dark rear windows.
MFSW is good but I really wish the position of the buttons were reversed, i.e. audio controls on the right instead of left. All other cars I've had with wheel mounted controls have all had the audio on the r/h side.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the very helpful replies - I've just put in my request to the lease company and we'll see what turns up :D

Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
ScoobyChris
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing