MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Driving home tonight myself(woman) and small daughter in car I lost all power steering on a big roundabout! I could barely turn the wheel! I limped straight across/off roundabout at about 10mph and pulled over for a while to call my partner. Tried the car again, steering back?! Got home tonight and after the key/engine is off the whining/power steering is still running! If I cant turn it off surely my battery will be flat by morning?!! Then how will I get it to the garage? (I have AA but not homestart)
Any ideas how to stop it? Can I disconnect the battery with it still going??!!?
It has been running for over an hour now and gurgling noises!
BMW had better be ready for me tommorrow! They have'nt seen anything yet*** :angry::angry: It could easily have caused an accident tonight :angry::angry:

Mini Cooper July 03 57k miles. I have owned from new.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm sure that somebody more knowledgable than me will reply shortly but if it were me I would disconnect the battery now or remove the relevant power steering pump fuse.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou!
I have found fuses, which one? The key on the cover does not tie up to anything in the handbook relevant to the power steering, what does the sign mean that shows a hand holding a book on the fuse key?

·
Registered
203 Posts
On my 03 car. In the passenger footwell by left foot is a compartment. Try fuse F41 on right side. That looks like a steering wheel. Its an orange 5 amp fuse on my car. Try that one

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
The simple and easy way is to disconnect the - VEbattery terminal the BLACK one. You will need a 10mm spanner.
If you do the BLACK one there is no risk of any problems - slacken the bolt off and waggle the cable off the connector and tuck it out of the way. Do not worry about any small spark / crackling sound as you take it off / replace it in the morning

Note You will have no central locking and no alarm with the battery disconnected.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your help everyone, you cheered me up a lot.
I found fuse F8 in the engine bay thanks to the fuse listing on this site, and pulled it but nothing happened so after 5mins I put it back in. Tried a few other relevant fuses too.
But too late now anyway, the car is now too flat to run the interior lights or start the car to put it in the garage. So I have left it still wining to itself and had to leave it unlocked on my drive as if I lock it I am pretty sure the alarm will start playing up and going off all night as the power drops off. I have just remembered I have Chubb masterpiece policy service I can home call in the morning to get me to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Good luck in the morning

Before you go do some reading on here about Power steering pump failures and do not be fobbed off by the dealer in terms of having to pay full price for a replacement - I would do the search for you but the laptop battery is bleeping flat

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice, I have been reading it already!!
Will print off the letter in the morning. Wonderful!

I might be a woman but although my knowledge of new Mini's is very limited I own a handful of other cars up to 60yrs old so I certainly wont be paying for any parts even with the cars age, given the near miss I had tonight! I am really disappointed with the things going wrong with the car now, even though I think I have been lucky and 'had a good one' some parts on the car are deteriorating/wearing out far too fast. Major parts should have a lifetime of FAR longer than 50k miles regardless of the crap they try to fob us off with!
Sadly BMW Mini lost my next new car purchase when they refused to replace the 'disintegrated into 3 parts' exhaust hanger.
Foolish on their part, thats £20k going in a different car manufacturers profit next time round over a £30 part..

·
Registered
25 Posts
I posted on here regarding psp failure and like you it went without warning mine happened on motorway driving home.:angry:
I fought with them and finally got them to replace the psp pump and also labour charges, but they said it doesnt come with a gurantee as they provided labour charges free...:confused:

Also report it to VOSA the more they get reporting this dangerous fault the better make BMW sit up and take notice..!

I now have another mini and it whines a lot ,hoping it will not lead to the dreaded psp failure..
Here are details to contact VOSA from the forum

*** STOP PRESS *** STOP PRESS *** 13TH JULY 2004 ***
Could all people with a steering failure PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE call the government safety body VOSA (Vehicle Operator Safety Agency) on
+44 (0)117 954 3300 to report your problem.
They are currently collating driver reports and as of today (13th July 2004), they need as much information as YOU can offer. PLEASE DO IT NOW - BEFORE SOMEONE GETS INJURED - THANKS

·
Registered
5,861 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
My PS started acting up today, working intermittently. It works now, but I suspect it is only a question of time before it goes out completely. Should I just take the car in and get it fixed right away? Or is it possible that it was only a temporary problem?

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
My PS started acting up today, working intermittently. It works now, but I suspect it is only a question of time before it goes out completely. Should I just take the car in and get it fixed right away? Or is it possible that it was only a temporary problem?
Take the car in asap............it will fail soon, maybe at an inconvienient moment!

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
So when the PS stops working doesnt the steering work at all?
The steering still works ok but will be extremely heavy and can surprise you if it happens suddenly after driving some distance in a straight line like on a motorway then turning on an exit slip road. :eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, my '03 mini's power steering comes and goes. I called the dealer and they said there is no known problem with the mini's power steering. I now have some evidence to the contrary. Great info. thanks, j.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Resurrection of old thread to save a new post.

I've just got home and my power steering pump is constantly running aswell. Disconnected the battery in the boot while I came on here to find the relevent fuse to pull, but in my haste to get to the computer, automatic pilot kicked in and I shut the boot. All the doors are locked and the battery is disconnected, anyway, I'll try and overcome that hurdle later.

I've pulled fuse 41 which didn't stop it (I'm presuming this is for the PAS fan), so now I'm on the hunt for either the relay or the main pump.

I'm thinking the main 100A fuse is under the engine compartment fuse board - how easy is this to get at or is it easier to pull the relay (which I don't know where it's located).

I'm leaving this thread for a while now, going to see if I can get back into the boot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts