MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week I parked in a shop and was called out because my mini was smoking!!! :eek:

Turns out it was a power steering failure and fluid leaked or something and caused a fire! Thankfully very small and didn't cause any significant damage, only the power steering and a few wires. Obviously, I'm a bit worried now!!

The garage has said its NOT a known problem but I thought I'd check... has anyone else had their power steering fail?

I've got a 51 Cooper.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine has just failed too! No smoking like you, but it felt like a Sherman Tank when I tried to move it and the familiar 'whining' sound was absent. Am waiting for MINI Emergency Service to came and take it to my dealership. Was fine yesterday, but have been told by my dealership that they sometimes jthey ust 'go'!!!

I've got a MC 2002
Hope your gets fixed soon.

Sally

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Sally,

mine is now fixed, altho it took 4 days to get all the relevant parts which were needed.

I hadn't realised but there's a poll on this issue... you might want a read...

MINI2 Forums > Technical, Maintenance & Modifications > Faults & Fixes
IMPORTANT. Have you had a power steering/pump failure? Please vote YES or NO!!!

good luck with yours!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thank you!

Mine has just gone - sounded weird without the ps noise! They said it will be about 4 days. Now waiting for the courtesy car to arrive - Astra or Focus - arghh!!
Yes, have already seen the poll and voted. The technician who took my car said this is a known fault, so hope they can fix mine permanently? Looking at some older threads on the forums, it appears that some owners have had more than one pump failure!

Hope yours holds out!

Sally

1 - 4 of 4 Posts