MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear members, I am a newbie on this forum and looking for some advice regarding my daughter’s 2002 (R50) Cooper.
It has suffered from the traditional failure of the electric power steering pump, and I am in the middle of replacing it.
To my shock, when I got under the car there did not seem to be any cooling fan for the pump.
The two mounting studs were present but there was no sign of the wire and plug for the fan.

Is it possible that it didn’t have one from new?

If it did have one and some idiot has removed it and its supply cable, does anybody know where the cable comes from or should be found?

I need to get this car back on the road quickly but am reluctant to leave the new pump without a cooling fan.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Nick.

·
Registered
914 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Knt,

Thanks very much for your e-mail

I am aware of how the fan assembly fits under the PS pump

What I do not know is where the electrical connection for the fan comes from.

I have the 2 plugs for the pump itself, but no evidence of any lead for the fan.

It may be that it was never fitted

I may simply have to connect it to a supply that becomes live with the ignition

Regards,

Nick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would appear that with my particular car the cooling fan was an option. At that time they were only fitted as standard to Automatics and Cooper S, because they were deemed to run hotter. Because of this the wiring for the fan was not installed. Looks like I will have to install it from scratch. I have managed to obtain a wiring diagram. Will have to look and see if the supply relay was fitted, if not I will have to fit one myself. It is doable but a bit of a pain. Perhaps this post will help someone else with the same problem. Thanks for your help anyway. Nick.

·
TGMoCatKU
12 Posts
Dear members, I am a newbie on this forum and looking for some advice regarding my daughter’s 2002 (R50) Cooper.
It has suffered from the traditional failure of the electric power steering pump, and I am in the middle of replacing it.
To my shock, when I got under the car there did not seem to be any cooling fan for the pump.
The two mounting studs were present but there was no sign of the wire and plug for the fan.

Is it possible that it didn’t have one from new?

If it did have one and some idiot has removed it and its supply cable, does anybody know where the cable comes from or should be found?

I need to get this car back on the road quickly but am reluctant to leave the new pump without a cooling fan.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Nick.
In the USA MINI extended the warranty on the power steering pump and fan and had a Federal government recall. I have a 15 year old MINI Cooper that was covered by this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It would appear that with my particular car the cooling fan was an option. At that time they were only fitted as standard to Automatics and Cooper S, because they were deemed to run hotter. Because of this the wiring for the fan was not installed. Looks like I will have to install it from scratch. I have managed to obtain a wiring diagram. Will have to look and see if the supply relay was fitted, if not I will have to fit one myself. It is doable but a bit of a pain. Perhaps this post will help someone else with the same problem. Thanks for your help anyway. Nick.
I have an 03 Cooper and there is no cooling fan so Ithink it likely that they were onl y on some cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts