MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
NM - I was able to confirm through examining the car that there is in fact, a blow off tube built into the cap of the power steering reservior. So much for the independent mechanic who said "if they told you there is a vent in the cap you should run screaming for the service manager." Apparently, he doesn't know everything about every car, lol. :D

I am hoping somebody can shed some light on a potential "issue". While having my 02 MC inspected as part of a sales agreement with a 3rd party, the mechanic (non Mini dealer) said he saw a power steering leak.

The steering works perfectly, I have no puddles and the power steering fluid level is fine.

I called my dealer and was able to get an opinion from two of the techs. They said there is a blow-off hole (right term?) and that some PS fluid run off is normal. I'd like to believe this is true, but want to make sure I give good information to the purchaser before I tell him that it was ok according to the Mini dealer.

Does anybody have any experience with this kind of issue? Has anbody else had the mechanics say this is normal?

·
Alpinamike
96 Posts
Blow off hole in power steering cap!!!!!

Every BMW has one even my older 525i has one!! Don't listen to those people , listen to the BMW people that have been working on them for some time, Like Me. So what BMW has MINI has too. My HO MCC is going to be here Sat. and so is 7 others at Pittsburgh, woo hoo. Just in time for Christmas!!!!!!!!

Alpinamike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts