MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My power steering pump keeps running after the engine is turned off and so I end up with a flat battery. Has anyone any ideas why and where the relevant solenoid is located. It's a 51 Mini One. Any help gratefully received.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for advice. My husband has just taken off the offending steering pump and it is being sent off to ECU testing for a re-build. Hopefully all will then be okay.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for advice. My husband has just taken off the offending steering pump and it is being sent off to ECU testing for a re-build. Hopefully all will then be okay.
What was the pump and service like from ECU Testing? I'm looking to get my pump rebuilt and am searching the archives for recommendations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm afraid you will need a new pump, this is a very common sympton of failure and is nothing to do with a 'solonoid.' Do not allow the pump to run continuously and flatten your battery or the pump will overheat and damage your steering rack seals.........disconnect the battery except to drive to a garage.
More Details here:
ADVICE THREAD: Power Steering Pump Failures - totalMINI Forums
and here:
http://forum.minicooper.org/showthread.php?t=9626
Hello
I have a similar problem, hoping someone could please confirm? I have an '04 model
Recently I changed my battery and a couple other things at the BMW/MINI dealer. When it came back it started to drain the battery as mentioned. New oil together with turning the wheel a couple of times seemed to have resolved this. The car went back for something else together with the pump pipe repair following which they (BMW dealer) put in wrong oil (the red one instead of the green CHF standard for all first generation MINIs). Immediately post that, the pump gave up. They even refused to drain the oil?
Can I hold them accountable for what has happened here?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts