MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there

i own a 2004/august mcs with all options except navigation/works/chrono-cockpit.
so this is the new model after the facelift.i must say the improvements are absolutely
worth it.
but !!!! .... when i start it in the morning,outside temperature being between 0 and about 7 degrees celcius,and i have to steer the wheel all the way to its stops on either side,it makes a loud squeeking noise,so loud people 20meters away turn their heads.
it stops when releasing the pressure.
i took it to my dealer,and he says its normal for the electronic-hydrolic powersteering to squeek when cold,nothing to worry about.
now i know that models before the facelift do not,i repeat do not have the same problem,as i have two friends that own (2003/2004-may) cooper-s'.

does anybode have the same experience??
even if its nothing to worry about regarding safety,i think for a car in this priceclass its not normal to have such complaints.

other than that........i love the looks and the handling of my mcs

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'd say that a squeaking noise is absolutely not normal, however it IS normal for the MINI's power steering pump to make a whining noise which is loudest when under load (i.e. turning the steering wheel while the car is sitting stationary or moving at low speed).

So, squeaking = not OK. Whining = OK.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
squeeking vs whining

i.m sorry,whining indeed describes it better.(its the sound my wife makes sometimes)

yep its whining,and it only happens when i turn the wheel to it's stop while stationary,so especially while parking the car.

and yes,it stops after a few minutes,so probably when the hydrolic oil gets warmer (thinner)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
repooc said:
i.m sorry,whining indeed describes it better.(its the sound my wife makes sometimes)

yep its whining,and it only happens when i turn the wheel to it's stop while stationary,so especially while parking the car.

and yes,it stops after a few minutes,so probably when the hydrolic oil gets warmer (thinner)
Are you sure that the reason you can't hear it after a few minutes is because you're driving. I thought the noise stopped on mine after a few miles, but after taking it to the dealers I had to have a new steering column :mad:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no,it definetly stops after about 5 minutes of driving.i hardly noticed it when i just bought it,as this was in august,and relatively hot.
now it happens more often,and persists longer,so it is related to temperature

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.