MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Wandering....
40,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that a lot of you guys have had a chance to live with your Mini for a while, Id be interested to know how practical a Mini is in everyday use - e.g., how does it cope with a large shopping trip, whats access like for elderly parents, things like that.

My wife is thinking of buying a Cooper, but shes concerned that it might be difficult to live with on a day-to-day basis, despite the fun factor.

Boring topic, I know, but if we can get this concern out of the way, there will be no excuse left not to buy one !!

·
Registered
344 Posts
AidenL said:
Now that a lot of you guys have had a chance to live with your Mini for a while, Id be interested to know how practical a Mini is in everyday use - e.g., how does it cope with a large shopping trip, whats access like for elderly parents, things like that.

My wife is thinking of buying a Cooper, but shes concerned that it might be difficult to live with on a day-to-day basis, despite the fun factor.

Boring topic, I know, but if we can get this concern out of the way, there will be no excuse left not to buy one !!
I used to have a largish 4-door Audi, and downsized to a Mini i've had since September - Generally, it's just me but occasionally we squeeze in 4. I also own a horse - you can image the amount of junk that involves - It's a bit tighter a squeeze, but it's not really that noticable a difference....

Watch out on these molehill speedbumps in case you ground the car....
3 up is fine. 4 up is a squeeze because I have to move the driver's seat.
A week's shopping fits in the boot with space for a large bag full of horse-gear. That still leaves the back-seats.

I have the seats pumped down low, which means I do tend to thump down into the seats - there are no grab handles in the front, and the doors are frameless - The doors do open very wide though... You need to be reasonably dextrous to extract yourself from the rear, and I wouldn't like to have regularly have rear seat passengers who didn't understand the idiosyncrancies of the seat mechanism.

Xmas shopping fitted in a treat.

About as practical as my old car used to be..... But much more fun!

·
Bad Dog, Moderator
798 Posts
Re: Re: Practicality

Johnboy said:

I also own a horse - you can image the amount of junk that involves - It's a bit tighter a squeeze, but it's not really that noticable a difference....

Johnboy-

I know it's probably bigger inside than it looks, but can you really get a horse in there?

:D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Practicality

gromit said:
[B
I know it's probably bigger inside than it looks, but can you really get a horse in there?

:D :D :D :D :D :D ;) [/B]
Well, i've got more than a hundred of them packed in under the bonnet ;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Can't quite fit a horse in it, but I did manage a 6 foot standard lamp (complete with box) before christmas. No room for passengers though with that though.

I've also had 2 fully grown males in the back, and taken both my relatively elderly parents in it, (69 and 63). They found it more comfortable and easier to get in and out of than my last car (Honda Prelude), but it was still a tad difficult for my mum to get out of the back. Seems it was easier going out backwards.

Shopping, well the boot is pretty small, but the back seats are split and a doddle to fold.

It's practical enough, provided you don't carry 2.4 kids and a dog everywhere. :)

·
Don Vito
17,160 Posts
Ciggy do they call you Mr Vault Keeper or just the Grim Reaper:D

nice one Aiden ;)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Welcome Aiden...I don't think that the MINI is the car that would meet your needs...sorry but you really don't fit in here either... :D

;) Congrats again on 10,000

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
AidenL said:
I find that access to enderly parents increases when you own a MINI, as you're more likely to want to get in the car and see them. It also allows for faster escapes if they get a bit tiresome.

The MINI itself is pretty poor with shopping, however when I go to large shops in the MINI, it copes better than in small shops, where often I have to fold the wing mirrors in, or even worse, get out of the car, to gain access to certain isles.

AidenL said:
My wife is thinking of buying a Cooper, but shes concerned that it might be difficult to live with on a day-to-day basis, despite the fun factor.!!
She's probably right.

AidenL said:
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, let us know how you get on!

Paul
:)

·
Wandering....
40,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
COOPERation said:
Welcome Aiden...I don't think that the MINI is the car that would meet your needs...sorry but you really don't fit in here either... :D

;) Congrats again on 10,000
Yes, I suspected it wouldn't be the right car for me after all........... ;)

I think I better stick with that Skoda Fabia Iv'e been thinking about............ :)

And this is a strange place........... :p

·
Wandering....
40,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Paul Mullett said:
I find that access to enderly parents increases when you own a MINI, as you're more likely to want to get in the car and see them. It also allows for faster escapes if they get a bit tiresome.

The MINI itself is pretty poor with shopping, however when I go to large shops in the MINI, it copes better than in small shops, where often I have to fold the wing mirrors in, or even worse, get out of the car, to gain access to certain isles.

She's probably right.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, let us know how you get on!

Paul
:)
PMSL ! :D

Yes , I certainly will let you know - thank you for addressing my concerns.

You must have been speaking to my wife, how did you know that she is always right ! :p

·
Niles' ex
6,616 Posts
Aiden,

Welcome aboard. I hope your wife enjoys her Cooper. If you can swing the cash, you might want to think about one for yourself. There are people on these boards who can help you, as they have vast experience in setting specifications. You might want to PM MartinL, Washy, Paul Mullett and Soggycornflakes. But stay away from that Shamster bloke, he's a bit dodgy.

Good luck in your future MINI adventures.

Jim

·
Wandering....
40,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you Jim, I may very well contact those people, I am sure they will help make my decision easier.

And thank you for the tip on Shamster, I had heard that he has a very dubious hairstyle.

·
Sotherner up north
1,221 Posts
Aiden

If you need more space than the MINI allows, just get a towbar :D

And yes I know the wheels needed cleaning :p

Mark :indi:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts