MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking at a 2007 mini cooper s rs6 manul, I have my heart set on one done about 108kms just wanna know what I'm getting myself into. anything I need to know about these vehicles like engine problems and such? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
928 Posts
Lots of problems with the N14 engine that get worse through age, usage and comprimsed maintainance as a car gets older. All very well documented.

If you do buy one make sure you check it very thoroughly and and remedial work is supported with receipts. Don’t accept “it’s an easy fix, but I’ve not got time” statements from any seller. Some problems can be expensive.

There are good ones out there I’m sure, but at that age I’d say there’s more bad ones than good.

I‘d not buy a 2007-2010 Cooper S with that engine.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah, I second that.
I've just bought the same as you, but it was a spares or repair due to suspects timing chain slip.
I naively thought it would be a simple chain replacement, but ended up being a new block and full rebuild and setting the timing is a total bastard!!
The best advice I would give is make sure it's been well serviced and buy/borrow an endoscope to pop in the spark plug hole and make sure the bores are not damaged.
I'll never buy an R56 again, :-(

·
TGMoCatKU
35 Posts
17 months ago I purchased a 2005 Mini Cooper convertible which was an occasional car at a summer home with 57 K miles (91 K km) on it. 2 things I recommend are:

1. Check suspension carefully for wear. Because of the way the vehicle is assembled replacing sway bar bushings is an expensive endeavor, around USD 675 here.
  2. Check for this:
  3. SUMMARY
    BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2002-2005 MINI Cooper and Cooper S vehicles and 2005 Cooper and Cooper S Convertible vehicles. The affected vehicles may experience temporary or permanent loss of the electro-hydraulic steering assistance.
    CONSEQUENCES
    If the vehicle experiences a loss of power steering assist, extra steering effort will be required at lower speeds, potentially increasing the risk of a vehicle crash.
    REMEDY
    MINI will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the electro-hydraulic power steering system, replacing the components and wiring, as necessary, free of charge.
    This recall is still in effect in the USA. Mine was remedied free of charge by MINI in 2019.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts