MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I think i may have finally found the cooper s works for me... One last thing left to do - Background check!

Im coming from Ireland to buy the car from a uk based buyer so dont know a lot about what checks etc are available in the UK... Can you recommend the best one to go with?

I will be travelling with cash to meet the seller, who in turn wants to go straight to the bank and lodge the funds to his account to make sure the notes are not forgeries (wasn't sure how necessary that was but i guess he wants to cover his back too). Should i be worried that he may lodge the funds and not turn over the keys or am i being totally paranoid now?

Very excited now as iv been waiting for what seems like ages to get my next mini!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mate!

Any tips on what i should look out for wear and tear wise on a 04 (facelifted) cooper s works with 50k on the clock?

·
Registered
40 Posts
thewalshter

Hi make sure you purchase the car at the sellers address don't just meet up at any location. If you carry out a HPI check and you have the log book details, ask them to confirm the serial number of the document this will confirm if the log book is genuine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven't seen it in the flesh or test driven it yet, but as per my conversation with the seller, if the car is in as good of nick as he says it is, both condtition and driving wise and everything checks out HPI wise, then we will have a deal on the day and i will drive it away. If not then ill be hopping on a plane back home empty handed.

Why do you say its important to meet him at his home location? He was going to meet /collect us at a train station convenient for both of us...

·
Registered
754 Posts
You need as much proof as possible, to see that they are who they say they are. If you can see them at a home address, that they clearly have access and is related to the registration documents.

If you meet away from their home address, they could quite easily go to the bank with you deposit your cash and then take off in the car.

I'm super paranoid when it comes to parting with the sum of money your talking about. I would even ask to see their driving license or passport if at their home address.

·
Clubman 'S' Power
343 Posts
You need as much proof as possible, to see that they are who they say they are. If you can see them at a home address, that they clearly have access and is related to the registration documents.

If you meet away from their home address, they could quite easily go to the bank with you deposit your cash and then take off in the car.

I'm super paranoid when it comes to parting with the sum of money your talking about. I would even ask to see their driving license or passport if at their home address.
I would be the same. I would want as much proof as possible. I would want a test drive first and if I was a 100% happy I would put down a depoist and wait for the relevant checks before I hand over anything

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What relavent checks do you refer to Paul? I have already done the HPI check and everything came back clear. It has only had one owner since new so i will request to see the sellers I.D. so that i can verify that the person that stands before me is the only listed owner of the vehicle as appears on the log book...

The HPI check will also allowe me to verify on the day that the chassis no matches the one on the registration document, and will also allow me to check that the serial number on the log book matches the one listed against that paricular reg/chassis no?

Are there still loop holes that i haven't realised that i need to cover?

·
Clubman 'S' Power
343 Posts
What relavent checks do you refer to Paul? I have already done the HPI check and everything came back clear. It has only had one owner since new so i will request to see the sellers I.D. so that i can verify that the person that stands before me is the only listed owner of the vehicle as appears on the log book...

The HPI check will also allowe me to verify on the day that the chassis no matches the one on the registration document, and will also allow me to check that the serial number on the log book matches the one listed against that paricular reg/chassis no?

Are there still loop holes that i haven't realised that i need to cover?
The last check will be your own and a test drive. I wouldn't take cash because you don't know who the person is. But that is my opinion. You are travelling a fair distance to get your mini, just make sure it is not a scam. People can get anything they want of the internet these days.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I would still definitely ask to go to his home address to view the car.

If he is cautious enough to ask for cash, I'm sure he would be quite happy if you explain your caution on why you would like to see the car at his house. i.e. So you can match the registration documents to his home address. Also get his home address from him before explaining why you want to go to his home address.

I would also ask for cash when selling a car, as there has been a spate of forged bankers drafts, so that is not unusual.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Paul...

I realise that cash isn't the best option but if i go down the bank draft route, then i am set to wait for a week or longer for it to clear throught the banks.
I could do this, but it would mean having to make two trips over which isn't financially favourable, also, he would have the money cleared into his bank account and might never take my second call or meet me to hand over the car...

Its not an exact science and i guess a certain amount of tact and common sense will have to be applied to the situation. From what i can see having spoken to him twice, he seems a straight up guy who is equally as afraid of getting scammed as i am! :aargh:

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
I would have to suggest making sure you travel with someone. You will be carrying a large sum of cash to meet someone you don't actually know.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I hope all goes well for you, if it doesnt I have a mint s works 2005 with 11,200 miles on it for sale! Black eye purple, see my gallery!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts