MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be picking up my car in about a week and a half and I wanted to get everything ready for its arrival.

First:

Should I wash, clay bar, dawn rinse, polish, and wax the car or should I just ride out the dealer's waxing until the end of winter.

As for what products to use, I've been reading great reviews about zaino and am seriously considering it, but the one question I have is... isn't Zaino Z-2 just a polish, meaning I'd have to follow it up with a wax?

Lastly, I've read about getting layers and layers of Zaino on, but I thought you layer waxes not polishes. So if i were to use the Zaino system, I would be interested in layering Zaino and then layering a wax over that. If i were to do that, what wax would be good to use that is layerable?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Don´t worry that much

Just care for your car and it will be fine. Use wax say 3 or 4 times a year with any good product (try them out and use what u like) and wash it when needed. It is not all that complex and u will learn over time what is best. I am learning more and more about car care all the time and it is fun. I wash my car 2 times a month (yes it is sufficient) and wax it 2-4 times a year and it works just fine. The biggest problem I have had are those small scrathes u get from washing it, so take care with that, use a good washing spounge or mitt and rinse off all loose dirt before washing.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Zaino is a synthetic polymer sealant; it is far more durable than any carnuba wax. You do need to completely strip off any previous applications of wax before applying Zaino (e.g. a Dawn detergent wash, or 50% isopropylalcohol solution etc.). If you have a dark colored car, then it may be worth applying a couple of layers of Z5 before using Z2 (with Z6 used in between each application). You can top-off Zaino with a quality carnuba wax if you want a deeper shine, but should you want to add more layers of Zaino thereafter you will need to strip off the carnuba first.

Good places for info:

www.zainobros.com

www.autopia.org

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what do you think about waxing it when i first get it? I would really like to, but it's starting to get cold already. Would the dealer's wax job last me until it gets warm again?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Dealer's wax should be fine over the winter. However, remember to use a quality car shampoo when washing as these are designed to remove the dirt but leave the wax largely in-tact (my favorite is P21S). If you want to put an extra coat of wax on yourself then go ahead; it certainly won't do any harm (remember to wax the wheels).

If you switch to Zaino after the winter then you will have to remove all the old wax before applying the Zaino.................but you've got plenty of time to read up on techniques etc. over the winter (www.autopia.org is a dedicated detailing site & they also sell quality car care products).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds good. I've read quite a bit already on Zaino. there was a large post over at NAM that included a good amount of details. Anyways, thanks for the response, i'll just pick up a bottle of NXT and use it for the wheels and such for now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.