MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
Might be something to do with sales taxes in Ireland - the article mentions emissions. Or maybe it's linked to the £-Euro exchange rate; right now, it should work out cheaper for people in the Eurozone to buy cars made in the UK - perhaps that is resulting in an official price-change in Eire?

AFAIK, there's nothing similar on the cards here in the UK.

·
Registered
236 Posts
A new VRT system is coming in from July 1st in Ireland. The system will now be based on cars' carbon dioxide emissions rather than their engine size. The price of MINIs (and many other cars, particularly the BMW range) will drop as a result of this new VRT system. Unsurprisingly, the Cooper D's price will reduce the most...

Cars will still be much more expensive than they are in the UK though - here in Ireland, a basic MINI One has the same price tag as a Cooper S for sale in the UK...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Along the same lines, I wish we had the sense here in the US to allow more diesel vehicles. A Dooper would have been great.... 60 MPG would make my commute even cheaper. Heck - if you want a TDI VW you need to get one that's a few years old, and if you want a newer diesel, then Mercedes is the only way to go. VW is re-introducing diesels here this fall and hopefully MINI will not be far behind. Sure I recognize that diesels tend to be sootier, but if it gets 50% better mileage, doesn't that account for the increased emissions? Right now, 89 AKI is around $4.39 here and diesel is about $5.10. - That's 11 cents per mile vs 8.5 cents per mile with a Dooper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts