MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
MINI2
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've searched the forms but I couldn't find any topics on it.
I've this option on my 2005 MCS and it worked fine, well for a few months that is :( . The problem is that in time the mirrors won't fold in anymore or they stop halfway. The electro motors are working fine so it's not an electric problem. After manually folding the mirrors a few times everything works fine again.
I guess that dirt in the folding mechanism (do to rain and driving on dirty wet roads) is stopping the mirrors from folding. Are there more 'Mini family members ;) ' who have encountered this problem? Is there a solution for it?
My dealer wants to replace the mirrors but that's probable not the solution.

Regards,

Andy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Andy,

I've got the foldies on my Cooper S. I have had the car since July and fold the mirrors every night when I park the car in the garage. So far I haven't had the problem you mention. That could mean that the problem is yet to start or that it might just be an issue with your current mirror fittings.

Hope this provides some reassurance.

Mini Matt

·
MINI2
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

I picked up my old thread because the mirrors are failing again. The dealer replaced the mirrors in February. I don't fold the mirrors that often because I hardly use my car on working days.

It was a new option on the Mini at the time I encountered this problem. Now almost one year later I wonder if I'm 'still' the only one who has problems with these #@%!? mirrors :mad: ;) :D

Regards,

Andy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,

The folding mirrors on my 13 month old (10,000 miles) Hyper Blue MCS work very well.

I do not garage the car, I use the option when I remember (possibly once or twice per week), and they're great!

I suggest you get the dealer to sort them out!

Only one gripe. I would like to have them auto fold via the remote control. Any ideas anyone? Can I do a DIY job on it?

Thanks,
RAP

·
Clubman D
1,365 Posts
One mirror on mine does not electrically fold as "quick" as the other. You can see it, the o/s mirror is slightly Slower to fold than the n/s!! Think I need to give the o/s mirror some energy bars to make it speed up, ha, ha!!!

I hope it doesn't get worse though!!

There is a sponsor on MINI2 somewhere that does a kit so you can fold the mirrors along with locking the car. There are threads on this, try a search!!

·
POP..POPPOP..POP
1,918 Posts
Yellow/Black OneD said:
One mirror on mine does not electrically fold as "quick" as the other. You can see it, the o/s mirror is slightly Slower to fold than the n/s!! Think I need to give the o/s mirror some energy bars to make it speed up, ha, ha!!!

I hope it doesn't get worse though!!
I've noticed mine doing exactly the same recently :frown:

Then today it didn't fold properly, stopped half way and was loose :aargh:
I could lift it up and it would drop back down again :frown: (might need to give it a blue pill, not energy bars :tongue: )

Pressed the button a few times to fold and unfold them and they worked perfect every time :puzzled:

I'll see if it does it again over next few weeks :hmph:

·
Damned
4,536 Posts
My drivers side folding mirror has stopped folding fully over the last week.
I generally use them every day over the last 18 months
As I`ve got my first tlc service coming up in the next few weeks so hopefully i`ll get it sorted then

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.