MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've done extensive searches here, without much luck...

I have a 03 MCS (dec 02 build date, built in Germany) with auto climate control. I'm getting an intermitant problem with the blower for the heating not working. It's happened 4 times, 3 of those in the past week.

It has only happened first thing in the morning. All the climate controls are lit up as usual, all the controls work, but the blower just isn't blowing (although I can feel hot air escaping from the vents, as I drive). Makes no difference which setting it's on - auto, air-con, windscreen, footwell etc. Makes no difference if I change the fan setting. The blower will then come on, out of the blue, a few minutes after starting my journey.

The problem happened again today - no blower after starting the car up at 7.45am. After about 10 mins it hadn't come on. I then up'd the temp from 20 to 24 and the moment I did this the blower kicked in (coincidence?). As I say, the problem has so far only happened on cold starts in the morning.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it? As I say, it's not a problem with the heat, just the blower. I want to fix this myself - where do I start?

TIA
Marc

Edit: OK, next day now and the blower hasn't come on at all during my 35 mile drive to work. Changing temp made no difference this time.

I've seen a post mentioning relays:
http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-generation-faults-fixes/183887-heater-blowers-not-working.html.
Not quite sure which relay is K4. There's an R4 in the engine compartment (see the map below), but I don't know if it's the right relay for the blower? The symbols on my map differ from the ones posted in other threads on here!

I'm worried now that the blower unit itself has packed up (or the resistor that controls it's speed). How easy is it to get to the unit and swap it out? I have moderate skills but enjoy a challenge. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Edit:After more investigation and reading about the blower motor resistor pack, I decided to locate it to check. Guess what....there is no resistor pack in the location that is specified at both RealOEM and the Haynes manual: RealOEM.com BMW R53 Cooper S Resistor/temperature sensor. Instead there is just a blanking plate in that location - see photo below. I am 100% sure I am looking in the correct place (drivers footwell (uk)). Im absolutely stumped. Surely there must be a resistor pack but WHERE???? I've found another post from somebody with the same problem, no resitor pack in this location, but alas the thread wasn't concluded: Blower/air con resistor fitting - UK MINI 2 Forum.

Anybody know of an alternative location for the blower resistor (MCS december 2002, built in Germany)?

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ive now also checked in the passenger footwell, removing the pollen filter - no blower resistor pack to be seen!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that mab01uk.

Looking at the diagram for:

'Blower control (IHKA Automatic Heating/Air Conditioning System with W11 engine up to 2003_03)'

it seems that there is no resistor pack!

To make things worse, it seems my engine compartment fuse list sticker doesn't match the actual fuses! I've swapped the relays about in there but it's made no difference.

I'm completely stuck now. Got it booked in for diagnostics check with local dealer next week.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had it at the dealers yesterday for diagnostics test.

They've told me it needs a new final stage resistor pack. I argued with them that it doesnt have the resistor pack. They showed me the diagram pointing to the resistor pack, which I then informed them wasn't there on my car - just a blanking plate. The technicians report actually said he had accessed the resistor pack, removed it and put it back again. I argued that this is impossible as it doesnt exist on my car. The report also stated the blower motor had come back on and started working again (it's worked intermittantly for the last couple of weeks), which meant they couldnt check voltages on the blower motor or finish the diagnostics.

I then managed to speak to the technician face-to-face who then informed me that sometimes the resistor pack is in a different place. He took me to the car and pointed out the panel that he had removed in the passenger footwell and said that the resistor was accessible by reaching up once the panel was removed. I reluctantly took his word for it.

Yesterday evening I removed the panel in the passenger footwell. The coolant pipes are behind here. Now unless the technicians hands are the size of a 3 year olds, there is no way he got his hand up behind here. His story about accessing and removing the resistor pack is utter *****! Ive shone a torch up here and can't see any sign of a resistor pack.

I'm 99% certain my blower doesnt' have a final stage resistor and this is backed up by the diagram here: WDS BMW Wiring Diagram System - Model Selection - 'Blower control (IHKA Automatic Heating/Air Conditioning System with W11 engine up to 2003_03)'.

Does anybody out there know anymore about this type of blower? Someone must have come across this 'resistor-less' type before? My local Mini dealer obviously hasn't. I need more evidence to present to them so I can get back the £54 they stole from me with their bulls**t diagnosis!!!!

On a side-note, the blower is still working since yesterday. Even this morning it came on straight away and it's ALWAYS been the mornings when it doesn't work. Still, can't see that this is the end of the fault...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mee too.

I have a 2011 countryman all4Sport and when it gets below 35 degrees outside the blower only blows up to the 3rd setting, which is a whisper of air. After the car warms up it blows fine. The fan indicator will allow me to set the blower on high, but the fan wants nothing to do with it.

I had trouble last winter, and then this summer the A/C worked like a champ - So I then tried the A/C even though it was cold out just to see if it was a heater only issue, and it wasn't. Neither the A/C or the Heater was able to engage the fan.

I don't know what a resistor pack is, but I will try to find it if you do and it takes care of your issue: aargh

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cokey, I'm literally having the same exact problem found the same lack of reaistors !!! Argh please tell me you solved this problem, I will send beers, I'm not opposed to begging!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did anyone get to the bottom of this. I've got the same issue! lack of hedgehog resistor, and just a blanking plate where realoem says the resistor should go...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a mini with 9000 miles on the clock in the summer, when the weather turned in I couldn't get the heater to work or blow, it had to go back in for some warranty work and they fixed the heater, end of December 2016 as winter set in again the heater stopped working the dealership are telling me after having to pay for an hours investigation that the fan motor has gone, and to replace it I am expected to pay £600 I guess that will be on top of the £100+ for looking with only 16000 on her clock. I have to say this is an utter disgrace on such low milage, especially as the dealership are now saying did we as they "did we do the first investigation and repair " as I bought it in 2015 my years warranty has expired.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts