MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I recently purchased a new mini cooper d from a mini dealer in Australia, this was an ex demo car and pretty much a new car for me.
3 days after I got the car while driving I heard a loud noise and the car lost momentum. I called roadside assist and the car was picked up and taken to the nearest mini garage.
On speaking to the mini service technician i was told that the Drive shaft came out and due to this the car lost momentum. He informed me that this was a major issue and due to a manufacturing defect. The car was since in the garage for 2 weeks and it required a replacement of the drive shaft.
My issue is that this is a major issue especially this was a new car and a major component failed so close to my puchase date and i have lost confidence in this car as this issue could have hapenned while i was driving on a freeway leading to a more severe consequence.
My question is as a consumer i can demand compensation or replacement of the car. Compensation would be due to the loss of value due to this issue. now i an non technical and am looking for advise as to what would be impact to the value of the car as a result of this issue.
RL

·
Registered
485 Posts
Any compensation you may be entitled to depends on the lemon laws in your country. You will never get additional money from a dealership because they repaired the car under warranty and you think you have some kind of "loss of value". :rolleyes: Here's some news: as soon as you start driving the car, it begins to lose value.

If the problem with the drive shaft was due to a manufacturing defect and it has been repaired at no cost to you under warranty, I don't understand what it is you are worried about or why you would be entitled to a completely new car. Try talking directly to your dealer about an exchange if you are that upset about it.

Hi,
I recently purchased a new mini cooper d from a mini dealer in Australia, this was an ex demo car and pretty much a new car for me.
3 days after I got the car while driving I heard a loud noise and the car lost momentum. I called roadside assist and the car was picked up and taken to the nearest mini garage.
On speaking to the mini service technician i was told that the Drive shaft came out and due to this the car lost momentum. He informed me that this was a major issue and due to a manufacturing defect. The car was since in the garage for 2 weeks and it required a replacement of the drive shaft.
My issue is that this is a major issue especially this was a new car and a major component failed so close to my puchase date and i have lost confidence in this car as this issue could have hapenned while i was driving on a freeway leading to a more severe consequence.
My question is as a consumer i can demand compensation or replacement of the car. Compensation would be due to the loss of value due to this issue. now i an non technical and am looking for advise as to what would be impact to the value of the car as a result of this issue.
RL

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
If MINI have fully repaired the car under warranty then it wont affect the value anymore than it would have done had the fault not happened.
When you say compensation do you mean you had to make your own arrangements for a car whilst they were repairing yours?
If they gave you a loan car to use for the duration, which is only right they should, then I dont think you can expect anything more.
I doubt very very much they would give you a new replacement because of this, maybe if the same exact fault was to occur again then it could be considered.
Ive never heard of a driveshaft coming apart before on a new MINI, so its probably a one off event, something never tightened up properly perhaps?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
The Nun
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing