MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought an 06 Cooper-S JCW (right-hand drive) with the part leather seats and on the right hand bolster of the driver’s seat it looks shiny, presumably from being rubbed every time the previous owner got in and out.

On closer look the shiny-ness appears to be stuck to the leather underneath, if persistent I can scratch off little bits of it, but obviously I don’t want to scratch it off for fear of damaging the leather, would prefer to remove the shiny stuff properly (White-sprit doesn’t work).

It’s not really that noticeable and to be truthful just looks like a 16k mile car with used leather seats, I’m just puzzled as to what the shiny stuff is??

Has anyone else got or had this problem?

·
231bhp on Lohen's dyno
1,741 Posts
I've got a few small marks (nothing too bad though) on my JCW leather seats from entry & exit of the car. I use Chemical Guy's Leather cleaner & conditioner from a company called CARWASHnWAX - Factory Direct Professional Detailing Supplies Warehouse. Great products, really bring the seats up nicely & also keep the leather nice & supple, maybe they'll help with yours?

Cheers
John

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

As soon as I wrote my post I thought I might try some leather cleaner and see if I can soak it off.

I don’t think it’s just normal as like mentioned I can scratch off the shiny stuff, was wondering if anyone else had come across it.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Its proabably the remenants of a leather protector coating tbh. If you take it off i'd give the leather a treatment and a new protector coating

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Richard.

It’s only on the driver’s right-hand bolster?? - you would have presumed they would have done the other bolsters as well.

I think you might be correct in that perhaps it’s a protector coating of some sort though, hence being able to scratch it off (with difficulty), I tried getting it off with white-spirit, will try giving it a good soak in leather cleaner.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Yes they would have, but on the other bolsters etc you probably dont see it as the surface of it has not been damaged by regular use. You probably only notice the sheen/flakeyness as its cracked and dbecoming detached from the leather surface

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good theory, but I’m not sure, it’s definitely only on that bolster and on the area in question, it hasn’t even been applied to the whole bolster. In truth it looks like spray-paint.

I don’t for one minute think its paint or that its been repaired as the seat is like new, which makes me think you might be right with regards the leather protection coating.

For some reason perhaps they only applied it to the main part of that particular bolster where it was potentially getting worn.

Will give it a soak in leather cleaner tonight and report back tomorrow.

At the end of the day its not life threatening and is barely noticeable, just would make the seat look like new if I could get it off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
try some meguiers leather cleaner mate, expensive but i find you get what you pay for with cleaning products

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a good go at it last night and have come to the decision that may be the leather has been repaired/sprayed at some point.

The ‘paint’ is only on one area of the bolster (i.e. the whole thing hasn’t been sprayed) and it’s been blended in well.

It doesn’t look bad at all and am happy to leave it rather than persevere and unearth possibly a scuff.

·
Registered
373 Posts
just wondering with what you guys are talking about has the leather on the side of the seat completely lost the colour added??
mine is worn really bad and it looks awefull!!
do you know if there is anything to re cover it??

cheers

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The colour looks fine, as new, just for some reason there is an area that looks shiny, on closer inspection it looks like a coating. I guess may be it might have had a scuff repaired at some point.

I’ve had a go at getting the coating off, it’s hardly noticeable so will just forget about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts