MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down the road selected 3rd and just got a long rev, as if I had missed the gear. Thought nothing of it and came up to a round about, down into 2nd and... again a long rev.

Driffted along and thats all I was getting in every gear.

Broke down, called the Mini Emergency people, got picked up and took home and the Mini went away to the local BMW garage.

When the rescue guy came he had no idea of what it might be.

No burning clutch smell & No crunching gears. The only thing that did happen before all that happened was that I stalled it in the car park before making my journey, which I never completed.

Does anybody have any ideas of to what this can be???

('02 Mini Cooper)

·
Registered
362 Posts
dansmini said:
My uneducated guess would be shifter cable broken?
I woundn't have thought that a broken gear shifter cable would let you select anything. I've had that happen and the gear lever goes floppy.

Depending on what has broken, it can feel right side to side, but front to back it is free and just moves from handbrake lever to window switches with no resistance, free side to side and forward and back gets 3rd and 4th no matter how near the gear lever is to either front seat.

Sometimes the gearl lever goes completely loose and it isn't connected to anything.

Whatever, if the linkage is broken, the "gate" that only lets the lever move to the places on the "map" on the top of the gear knob will have gone, and the gear lever can go where it shouldn't.

If, when the car is stationary with the engine off, the gear lever feels normal, the linkage is OK

If the gear lever feels OK, the engine runs but there is no drive, it must the clutch, final drive, differential or a driveshaft that has broken.

It's not likely to be the clutch linkage, because that would either make the pedal feel funny, or it would engage all the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had the gear box and clutch replaced. They didn't take the gear box apart so didn't know what the problem was.

Wasn't happy with the condition my car returned to me in though. Dirty all round greasy finger marks all over the bonnet and doors. But worst of all the finger marks found there way into the car and on the white-ish plastic part on the A and B pillars. Oh yeah and on the seat belt so I got it on my top when I belted up.

I phoned BMW back and complained and I get a FREE full valet when ever I want. [sarcasm] Whoppppy f**king do. [/sarcasm]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts