MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. My mum's interested in buying a 2009 Clubman S (R55) with 106,000 km (65,865 miles), so I'm learning about them and trying to decide if it's a good idea for her.

After searching the internet for a while, the common problems on the Clubman S seem to be:
  • Timing chain and tensioners
  • High pressure fuel pump (HPFP)
  • Water pump
  • Engine rattle in cold weather
  • Windows (opening and closing in cold weather, and sealing)
So my main question is, what problems should be expected on a manual transmission, non-diesel 2009 with high mileage like this?

I'd post a link to the full details of the Clubman S in question, but I don't have 15 posts yet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Clutch and carbon build-up on the valves.

Would be good to have full service history and look at frequency of oil changes. Also check the oil level in the car currently to see if the owner has been keeping it at proper levels.

Check when the brake pads and rotors were last changed, can be somewhat expensive if done through the dealership.

Timing chain/tensioners and rattle in cold weather are related.

In the back of the clubman, open the two rear doors and remove the floor cover. Then remove all the spare wheel equipment. Check for water stains and/or rust. Certain years have experienced water leaks in the trunk of the car (mine did and it's a 2009). The leakage can be repaired by resealing the body joints.

If this is going to be a daily driver in stop-and-go traffic, I strongly would caution against it. Better to use these cars for long highway driving so that engine oil gets up to temperature. Forced induction engines will generally consume much more fuel in city driving than at constant highway speeds.

Hi guys. My mum's interested in buying a 2009 Clubman S (R55) with 106,000 km (65,865 miles), so I'm learning about them and trying to decide if it's a good idea for her.

After searching the internet for a while, the common problems on the Clubman S seem to be:
  • Timing chain and tensioners
  • High pressure fuel pump (HPFP)
  • Water pump
  • Engine rattle in cold weather
  • Windows (opening and closing in cold weather, and sealing)
So my main question is, what problems should be expected on a manual transmission, non-diesel 2009 with high mileage like this?

I'd post a link to the full details of the Clubman S in question, but I don't have 15 posts yet.

Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts