MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lookin to buy an MCS and I was wondering how many people have had these "typical" problems. I heard something about problems with overheating and power steering fluid. Is it that bad? Thanks

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
I have never heard of these problems as "typical", I think that is bad information.

I have an '02 MCS with 25,000 smiles on the clock and have had neither problem. Mechanically the car has been excellant. None of the "hic-cup", "stutter", "bucking", "yo-yoing". Just step on the gas and go. Thank you very much.

This includes several autoX days, some long trips, lots of daily commuting, and the occasional 300 mile Sunday morning blast. :D

·
Registered
783 Posts
There are lots of problems that I could characterize as typical, but overheating and power steering problems are not among them. Typical problems would be, or have been, as most have been fixed either with production-line upgrades or repair to existing cars: Yo-yo, Stumble, reluctant cold starting, heat-distorted roof, leaky coolant overflow bottle, leaky taillamp, steering pull to side, boot latch that won't latch, and others. I've had all of the above, except the steering pull and cold start, and all were fixed quickly under warranty (that is, quickly after the fix was found . . .). My car is a fairly early example, so I would expect later cars to demonstrate none of the listed problems. I just passed 24,000 miles of motoring, and would not hestitate to buy another Cooper S.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Brought my MCS home on June 16th 2003. Turned 17,000 miles today.

I over reved the amp for the HK not long after delivery.

Had drivers side window motor replaced about 6 months ago.

If I drive like an old man, I notice the surging (YoYo). Since the Mini has me driving like a teenager again, this is not a problem. Note: The surging doesn't happen at WOT!

The biggest problems founds so far?

Lack of traction! :confused: Don't buy it without the LSD.

Wimpy exhaust note! Borla 140035 Race/Sport catback exhaust cured this for me! :D

Problems?

All cars and trucks have problems. Some more than others.

But, you'll hear more on here about people having problems than you will about people not having any problems.

All forums are alike in one aspect. A large majority of the posts are complaints about something or the other.

Unless you end up with a real lemon, if you truly like the Mini, you can look over a few problems.

Just like a marriage, life isn't perfect everyday. But if you truly love your spouse, you can overlook those imperfections.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
There have been a lot of reports of power steering problems, but the reports of problems are dropping, and the number of MINIs on the road are rising... so that's a good sign!

Not heard of over heating problems very often (maybe a couple at most).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a steering rack problem on my 04' MCS at 3K miles. It was replaced under the warranty.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here in the U.K. a motoring tv show and magazine called Top Gear has just completed a survey of all the cars on sale here where owners rate there cars on dealers, driving experience and reliability after 1 1/2 to 2 years driving. I thought the mini would fair quite badly given the problems people had with the early cars, but it placed 26 out of 142 finishing above the Porsche 911 and previous top 5 cars like the Suburu Impreza :) It finished 28th last year and this years winner? Honda S2000 and loser 142nd? Mercedes M class :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
I absolutely LOVE top gear (ex-patriot, living in US). I really wish that we could get it over here. People in the US don't know what they are missing in a show like this. When they see a crap car, they first say that it's crap, then go on to explain why it's crap, then continue to rant on as to the total crappiness of the car. No regard to advertisers feelings or any of that rubbish that would enter into the show over here in the US.

Even though we wouldn't get 50% of the cars reviewed on the show, it would be worth watching just for the entertainment factor.

I think I will shoot an email off to BBC America now...... I encourage everyone else to do the same.

EDIT: Hey, they even have it as a suggestion option on this page:

http://www.bbcamerica.com/about/contactus_suggestion.jsp

maybe just maybe!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
We've got over 30k miles racked up on our '02 MCS and the major problems have been in the software. Version 39 has really helped with yo-yo. The only other problem would be the coolant expansiont tank leaking which usually seals itself up again once it leaks a bit. We've never been down on coolant, though.

The power steering problem is caused by something that gets jammed up into the fan that cools the fluid. The fuse blows which is the fuse for the whole car cooling system. There have been isolated cases but it's not a likely event. Just carry an extra 5 amp fuse just in case.

·
MINININININININI!
225 Posts
2K miles on 05 MCS, drivers side window rattling, drivers side window squeeks when opening, but nothing else.

Only problem is not having enough traction on the god damn greeeeeesy English roads!!!

For everything else theres mastercard!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts