MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of my Copper S yesterday and noticed when I got home that the rear tyres are completely different.

The passenger rear is a 50% worn Dunlop SP Sport 01
The drivers rear is a new Dunlop SP Sport 9000

Surely the different wear on the tyres, different tread patterns and characteristics of the tyre will cause handling problems particularly in very wet conditions?

Mini Peterborugh who supplied the car are currently saying that there is no problem with set up!! :puzzled:

I'm awaiting a call back from Dunlop but would appreciate any insights from any professional on here who are 'in the know'.

·
GEEEEEEEEK
9,069 Posts
its not something i would do for sure never mix and match as tyres have different compounds and grip levels depending on the heat build up in them !!!

who was the sales man ?

·
Registered
460 Posts
^^ what he said, its dam dangerous to mix over an axle it will have happened as it would have been traded in and one tyre will have needed replacing the sp sport 01 was the mini dunlop run-flat from the 1st generation cars, the sp sport 9k is the new generation rf

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Mixing tyres on the same axle is certainly not something I would advise

Also, the Sport 9000 tyre is Directional, the Sport 01 is Asymetric - they're two totally different tyres that will behave very differently in all situations, this setup is not safe.

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
^^ what he said, its dam dangerous to mix over an axle it will have happened as it would have been traded in and one tyre will have needed replacing the sp sport 01 was the mini dunlop run-flat from the 1st generation cars, the sp sport 9k is the new generation rf
Wrong way round - the Sport 01 is the new generation tyre designed for the R56, the Sport 9000 has been around for a few years ;)

I expect when a tyre was replaced, the fitter just fitted what was available.

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!!

The Peterborough Mini BRANCH MANAGER has told me that he has made enquires and the current set up if absoluteley fine.

Dunlop have said that it is permissable under current UK law to put mixed tyres on an axle.

BUT the two types of tyres are completely different in makeup with the SP 01 being a comfort tyre and the SP 9000 being an ultimate performance tyre. They do have different levels of grip and will wear at different rates. The fact the wear is already different compounds the wear rate issue. The wear rate issue and differences in the circumference of the tyre can cause issues with the stabilty control with the car apparently. Dunlop found that when cars with uneven tyre wear were driven quickly round bends the stabilty control cut in to correct a skid that was NOT happening which caused problems.
Dunlops offiicial recommendation is that tyres should be changed in pairs to ensure the wear rate on an axle is identical.

I have contacted Mini Uk regarding the issue, whom were less than impressed. Page 90 of the Mini Owners manual paragraph 4 states quite clearly that mixing tyre treads in not recommended as it effects the cars handling. I deem that Mini Peterborough have supplied me with a Mini that does not conform to the manufacturers recommendations and specification.

Really quite annoyed at the moment. Its a concern that Peterborough could be supplying cars to customers who wouldn't realise the potential problem and could suffer an accident as a result.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
I can only agree with what others (and Dunlop) have said.

If both tyres are road legal, then I guess legally and technically the dealer is doing no wrong. BUT, they're different types of tyre in different states of wear and that is not good, and FAR from ideal.

Hope you get it sorted.

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sigh..............

Mini Uk say that under the Cherished scheme the dealer needs to check that the tyre is the correct size for the vehicle and has a legal amount of tread. The advisor absolutely refused to comment on the official recommendation regarding tyre treads on page 90 of the Mini handbook. :hmph:

Pretty gobsmacked.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Wrong way round - the Sport 01 is the new generation tyre designed for the R56, the Sport 9000 has been around for a few years ;)

I expect when a tyre was replaced, the fitter just fitted what was available.
i blame the fact i had not had my caffine fix, was a late night sorting out some part issues im having.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sigh..............

Mini Uk say that under the Cherished scheme the dealer needs to check that the tyre is the correct size for the vehicle and has a legal amount of tread. The advisor absolutely refused to comment on the official recommendation regarding tyre treads on page 90 of the Mini handbook. :hmph:

Pretty gobsmacked.
a friend had similar issues with his cherished cooper s, a call to mini uk made the dealer jump to it

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
My Checkmate was sold to me with a washer bottle that wouldn't hold any fluid - that wouldn't even pass an MOT :eek:

Cherished isn't always what its cracked up to be ;)

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Todays storm in a tea cup is resolved!! :biggrin:

Mini Peterborough has told me that under the Mini Cherished scheme they have fulfilled their responsibility and the car is at an acceptable standard.

BUT following Dunlop Technical's report concerning the tyre set up on my car, the Dealership manager has no choice but to accept that he must change the half worn SP 10 to a SP 9000.

I'm obviously pleased its been sorted, but find Mini's stance on the situation to be rather odd. :puzzled:

Thanks for all your replies and support. Its nice to know that it wasn't just me being unreasonable. :smile:

EDIT
The tech guy from Dunlop phoned me this afternoon to see if the dealer had told me they were having to change the tyre. He said that the Dealer had spoken to him and he told them the same information as he told me. Really impressed with Dunlop's service, if you have a problem ask for Peter in the technical department.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Todays storm in a tea cup is resolved!! :biggrin:

Mini Peterborough has told me that under the Mini Cherished scheme they have fulfilled their responsibility and the car is at an acceptable standard.

BUT following Dunlop Technical's report concerning the tyre set up on my car, the Dealership manager has no choice but to accept that he must change the half worn SP 10 to a SP 9000.

I'm obviously pleased its been sorted, but find Mini's stance on the situation to be rather odd. :puzzled:

Thanks for all your replies and support. Its nice to know that it wasn't just me being unreasonable. :smile:

EDIT
The tech guy from Dunlop phoned me this afternoon to see if the dealer had told me they were having to change the tyre. He said that the Dealer had spoken to him and he told them the same information as he told me. Really impressed with Dunlop's service, if you have a problem ask for Peter in the technical department.
Still, name and shame the dealer - if they are offering service that is as poor as you have received and selling cars which are technically dangerous, they need to be named. Maybe their argument is that driving round town at speeds around and under 30MPH, this won't make much difference! Not the right attitude - what if scenarios come to mind. I don't drive round town much! I hope your dealer has compensated you for this faf.

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The dealer was SYCAMORE MINI PETERBOROUGH.

The tyre was replaced last saturday, along with other issues being fixed that I pointed out.

I was told by a guy that works there that the Manager of the BMW/Mini dealership ran both franchises (both brands share the same building) is VERY snobby about the BMW brand and views/treats the Mini brand as a poor relation. It seems he'd rather not have it there by all accounts.
Due to him running it, the Mini side does not enjoy the same level of treatment and quality as the BMW side. The issue with my tyre was all down to money saving by the dealer principle. Mine isn't the 1st case of probelms due to problems with the delaership manager sticking his oar in.

The Mini brand had its own manager appointed 3 weeks ago but he was promoted from the lower ranks and will NOT stand up to the dealership manager.

The good news is that the Mini brand is having its own seperate building constructed, and will then be run with its own staff and as a seperate company. The Mini staff are rather keen for this to come sooner than later. Its seems the BMW/Mini franchise in Peterborough isn't a particularly happy ship.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
The dealer was SYCAMORE MINI PETERBOROUGH.

The tyre was replaced last saturday, along with other issues being fixed that I pointed out.

I was told by a guy that works there that the Manager of the BMW/Mini dealership ran both franchises (both brands share the same building) is VERY snobby about the BMW brand and views/treats the Mini brand as a poor relation. It seems he'd rather not have it there by all accounts.
Due to him running it, the Mini side does not enjoy the same level of treatment and quality as the BMW side. The issue with my tyre was all down to money saving by the dealer principle. Mine isn't the 1st case of probelms due to problems with the delaership manager sticking his oar in.

The Mini brand had its own manager appointed 3 weeks ago but he was promoted from the lower ranks and will NOT stand up to the dealership manager.

The good news is that the Mini brand is having its own seperate building constructed, and will then be run with its own staff and as a seperate company. The Mini staff are rather keen for this to come sooner than later. Its seems the BMW/Mini franchise in Peterborough isn't a particularly happy ship.
Ah well at least they are moving - that should solve the problems. I had a similar experience with Stratstone Mini in Harrogate. When they were a bolt-on to BMW their service was at best poor, and as a result I didn't use them.

Then things changed. They moved down the road (about 3 miles) and got new staff. Now they are unbelievably helpful, and if I was blindfolded, I would swear I was in a different dealer. I think the overall top man is the same, but the management is different, and I cannot speak highly enough of them now. I take mine there for warranty work and tyres etc now! Better still - they sell the mini polish/wax for £5 when it it should be £8! How good is that. I hope you experience the same changes!;)

·
Mini 'TRUE'
10 Posts
Bought a car recently from these. Problem with very worn discs and an un willingness for it to stop on a test drive. I said the front discs are shot and should'nt pass an mot let alone a test drive. their 'safety report' said advisory but ok ! My old shape mini cooper would have put this car to shame on it's stock brakes, I wonder if a BMW purchase would have had the same answer?
Lucky my leaverage was a no sale unless replaced, which they did.
Who knows what I'm in store for if any warranty work is needed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts