MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently got hold of a 2008 R56 Mini Cooper Diesel and I love it so far, however while i was picking up a few bits on Ebay i found a ProRacing chip which is supposed to raise BHP and decrease fuel consumption. A little sceptical about theses claims but it wasn't very expensive so I bought one. It arrived on Saturday and i was looking to fit it, the problem is that i can't find the socket on the common rail where the instructions say to fit it.

A pal of mine said that the Mini has a Peugeot diesel engine, does anyone know where the socket is? And has anyone had any experience with these chips?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
the fuel rail is at rear of engine under the egr valve ball ache to get at,,, but this all said what you describe is not a tuning chip its a resister in a plastic box that fouls the ecu ie adds more fuel more fuel means more soot as if add fuel need to add air ie boost,, so more likely will cause more smoke this might be ok on a car without a dpf filter but not on a euro4 or as that engine is euro5 ie has a dpf filter with wet additive to help burn the carbons off so dont get blocked,,
so the short answer would be not worth risking destroying your dpf and at worse could take out the turbo and cause a diesel runaway as those engines tend to do,, best bit of advice get it mapped correctly, also would have dpf and egr valve deleted i had a couple like that and 160bhp and pulled from no revs every gear,, this all said its a mot failure but it is a visual check so its possible to remove the filter on mini psa engines without any welds cant tell its been done,
have seen many broken engines over the years due to smoke boxes

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice mike1967 I wont bother fitting the resistor then as it is a euro4 engine with only 57k on the clock, it's a little beauty to be fair.

I might look for a proper place to remap but it delivers I excess of 60mpg already.

I'll put that Ebay bargain in the bin and chalk it up to experience.

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts